Laptop for college and daily use.

Momocomputers

Beta member
Hi I am going to college and I need a laptop for daily use and that I can use around the campus, I am studying genetic engineering if that would help. I also program a lot using c++ and java, I might game but it's optional. Well I'm down to Mac OS or windows 7 or 8. General requirements would be or more than:
500gb at 3800rpm
4gb ram ddr3
Intel core 7 graphics and mother board
15in screen
Webcam
PS: I will be on it 24/7 so long life.

Honestly, laptops hate being powered on 24/7, unless you're diligent with cleaning.

It sounds like you're looking at something entry level to middle of the road. You might not need an i7 in a laptop unless you're going to be doing a lot of video transcoding. For programming, you can get away with an i5 and be just fine.

I can remove the battery and keep it plugged in, should I go with mac or windows, and I said i7 because I am also majoring computer science and for now I'm planning on getting a phd so like 12 of schooling.

you are saying that you need an I7 because you are majoring in computer science and you are planing on getting a phd...
What makes you think an I5 won't handle that?
I5 VS I7 is the same thing as saying Hyper Threading vs non Hyper Threading. it's almost exactly the same CPU except Hyper Threading.

I'll note you are not gonna see any harddrive spinning slower then 5200 rpm. so the minimum of 3800 rpm can be checked OK on any laptop.

I can't recommend mac to anyone that does have the knowledge to not mess up the system with crapware in a few weeks.
It's simply not worth the money in my book. I'll only recommend mac to a inexperienced person who has a high budget.

Last edited:
I have low amount of money with high experience, what does that get me. I've heard there is weak usage of perl ruby and python on windows, is that true?

I have low amount of money with high experience, what does that get me. I've heard there is weak usage of perl ruby and python on windows, is that true?

To a degree yes. I use them regularly for scripts for my job, but it's not common for most people in windows.

Otherwise Biker is right. In school, my school-issued laptop was an i7, now at both of the jobs I've had as a software engineer had laptops with an i5. In terms of compiling coding there is no noticeable difference between the two. RAM and HDD speeds make a much more of a noticeable impact. Take the money saved by choosing an i5 over an i7 and get an SSD or hybrid HDD and you'll be just fine.

Back
Top Bottom