Hard Drives - Caddy?

7esh

Solid State Member
Hi,

I have 3 spare hard drives which are ideal to use for backups however these are just lying around and I dont have anything to plug them into. I think they are all SATA drives although need to check one as its quite old. Can anyone recommend any caddy's or alternative solution which I can use to backup data from my new Synology NAS to them? I can do this via USB 3 or eSATA.

do you have a desktop computer? if you do, you could raid them together in id say raid 5 as your back up. are they all the same size?

I purchased one at Bestbuy for about $40.00 for a 3.5 sata drive. Can be used as an external drive. I bought it to use for removing hard drives from computers that are not functional and connect to another computer to do several things, like removing files to save them, reformatting, etc...

Actually buying one today, if they have it in stock, for the 2.5 sata drives. Looked last night on their site and they are about $30.00.Nice tool to have. Especially for me, I'm learning about computers by going to school and getting as much hands on as I can.

As briggs&stratton posted, Raid is an option as well.

Thanks both. Yeah, I did have a desktop from which these have come from but the idea is to get rid of the Desktop as its an old Dell Dimension which is massive and takes up space etc. Ideally I'd like to get some sort of caddy to house all my drives in. They are all various sizes too - one is 100GB and the other 80GB. With the third one taken from an old External WD drive which is 250GB. So I have these all lying around and with the desktop gone I need some use for them. If I did get a caddy I'd probably look to add a bigger drive to act as the main backup with these three as partial - ideally one for music, one for photos etc

RAID would definitely be an option then but guess I need to find a house first off!

yes you would, but with having different size drives. RAIDing will be difficult im not sure how some NAS's work. they might let you use different sizes but if you are going to get a NAS just look at the specs of it and see if there is one that lets you put different sizes into it. ill look to see if there are some out ther. :)

it looks like synology NAS's are capable of it. I was reading that the Synology DS409slim lets you do that. you might have to do some more research on it though.

Back
Top Bottom