Best type of Degree to get??

With the vendor certs that you have, and more importantly the 3+ years experience that you have a degree will add nothing to your CV.

so pick a degree (any degree) make it something that you like.

you really think so..? because its still an iffy subject for me.

I would stand by that for what you're saying you want to do.

you already have a lot of certs, and you already have a reasonable amount of experience.

there are jobs where a degree is needed, but often those degrees are non-specific.
what I mean here is that some places look for a degree because it shows a high level of understanding, -it shows that you can apply yourself over a long period of time.
I used to work in a university, they had a requirement, without a degree you'd never be able to work in a university, but they had no clear you must have done this degree.
(I worked in IT within a university, my degree is Electronic Engineering.)
I used to work in a software house, some of the coders had degrees in business, but were writing software for a living.

There is no specific degree that is going to teach you to be a sysadmin. because that job title is not specific to a job, and sysadmins tend to be the "jack of all trades"
what if you spend three years at university learning about Unix, then you want a job as a windows domain administrator? or exchange administrator? as far as I know there is no degree that would get you a definite job in IT.

that said.
assuming you are able to do elective modules as a part of a modular degree program, you might find that you are able to take a course in database design, (a whole degree centred around database design and administration might set up up to be a DB admin) but a general course will set you up with a degree, elective modules will show that you've gained learning in a wide curriculum...

That is dependant on the job that you want to get, I'm assuming that you're looking at jobs in SME sorts of business, you might find that if you want to work for a large multinational business that they want all the people who check the status of SQL maintenance plans to have hugely in depth knowledge of databases, and have a degree in the area. -probably a waste of a degree.

If you have ar really specific idea (I want to write code for google) then you'd take a really specific (software development) degree...

sadly there is no equivalent degree for mail administrator,

-I think you might be trying to look for a degree where one just does not exist -does that make sense?

it does make sense and i totally agree with you. i would like an engineering degree but that almost seems like it would be out the window because ive been out of school for a while. but then again the army i think pays for us to go and take like our SAT's. so we will see.

In the uk it's possible to do a foundation year, this is a year at the institution either revising or introducing concepts that will be used in the degree program later.

It's usually used by people that either haven't gained the marks at school etc to go straight onto the degree program, or by mature students who are returning to education after time away from any learning.

You could see if the institution that you want to go to offer a year like this?

Back
Top Bottom