Need help with server specs/setup

Rbeasley14

Beta member
Hello I'm new here and not sure what section this should be in. Also a bit of a server noob :)

So I have the job of getting the servers for a network with around 50 devices all together connecting to it. My question is about rack servers, I need 3 servers for all of this (I have the layout, switches, cabling set up). But in terms of servers I'm nowhere. I have picked this enclosure

HP BL cClass c7000 Single-Phase Enclosure | Ebuyer.com

Which to my knowledge is just the enclosure? With PSU and fans, it has 10U so I'm planning on getting 3 servers 2U max (need space for expansion) can anyone recommend 3 servers?

The work through the business will be admin work and multimedia applications used for creating interactive media (Adobe Creative Cloud Collection). There's no specific budget but cheaper the better.

Any help would be great, pretty stuck right now.

ya it seems to me that it is a just an enclosure 10U which is the just how big it it. 3 2u would fit just fine. it looks like the only servers that will fit are the ones that are on the website. question, are you combining the servers together? or 3 seperate ones? i would also look at the dell setups. so 50 devices.. are you going to create a domain, dhcp, and a dns server?

Question. What is 10U. And what do you (biggs&straton) mean by saying "3 2u"?

another question would be, Why do you (Rbeasley14) need 3 servers and this expensive enclosure when you only have 50 devices connected to it. Why not one standard server for domain control and another standard as a file server.

Where i work we had a single standard server to control almost 100 computers.
It worked fine. However we only needed it for domain controller, remote control and permissions.
we also allowed students to save up to 7GB og data on a shared drive located on our server.

Last edited:
Hello I'm new here and not sure what section this should be in. Also a bit of a server noob :)

So I have the job of getting the servers for a network with around 50 devices all together connecting to it. My question is about rack servers, I need 3 servers for all of this (I have the layout, switches, cabling set up). But in terms of servers I'm nowhere. I have picked this enclosure

HP BL cClass c7000 Single-Phase Enclosure | Ebuyer.com

Which to my knowledge is just the enclosure? With PSU and fans, it has 10U so I'm planning on getting 3 servers 2U max (need space for expansion) can anyone recommend 3 servers?

The work through the business will be admin work and multimedia applications used for creating interactive media (Adobe Creative Cloud Collection). There's no specific budget but cheaper the better.

Any help would be great, pretty stuck right now.

this is not a rack.
this is a blade server chassis.
it takes up 10 units of rack space it has space for 16 blades. you will only be able to use blades that fit the chassis...
very different from ordinary rack servers...

Do you have a requirement to use blade servers?

You'll probably find it easier and cheaper (especially in the long run when you have an obsolete chassis holding old blades because they are legacy or something being in the way of your progress!

certainly if you only need three servers at the moment I would not get locked into a specific blade chassis, as you may find it hard to buy new blades later!

Do you have any idea about what sort of server you need?
what are your processor requirements?
what are your RAM requirements?
what storage requirements?
do you require RAID? with battery backup? or hot swap on disks?
are you using local storage or do you need shared storage?
do you have any plans for virtualisation or consolidation of servers?

Why do you need three servers? - are you sure you can't use two by consolidating services, or are you sure it's enough? (do you need more than one host for a service for redundancy, or to reduce single points of failure.?)

how much rack space do you actually have (in standard rack units?)

when you say the cheaper the better...
https://www.google.co.uk/#q=HP+ProLiant+BL460c+Gen8

cost of a blade is around £3k - £7k

https://uk.insight.com/en-gb/produc...-Feed-_-Feed&gclid=COLNp_u2m7sCFczC3godMgwAXg

that's a 7k blade...

a simillar performing ordinary server
HP ProLiant DL560 Gen8 - Xeon E5-4640 2.4 GHz - Monitor : none. - King of Servers

£2k (the processors are a bit different. the blade has 2x8 2.8G core, the servers has 4x4 core 2.4G) both have 64GB RAM...

personally... I'd forget about blades

Question. What is 10U. And what do you (biggs&straton) mean by saying "3 2u"?

another question would be, Why do you (Rbeasley14) need 3 servers and this expensive enclosure when you only have 50 devices connected to it. Why not one standard server for domain control and another standard as a file server.

Where i work we had a single standard server to control almost 100 computers.
It worked fine. However we only needed it for domain controller, remote control and permissions.
we also allowed students to save up to 7GB og data on a shared drive located on our server.

yes like root said, the U is units. on a server rack you have so many spots for servers so in my shop right now we have 4 2U servers and 4 1U switches. so a total of 12 units filled worth of space. if you ever have seen the common cisco switch they are all mainly 1U. we have Dell R515 2U servers. Long huge blad servers! but the enclosure that he wants only take specific half unit blad servers.

Back
Top Bottom