Microsoft Doesn't Want 3 Platforms

I think you guys are failing to read between the lines here.

We are not going to have three.
We really should have one silicon interface for all of our devices
We want to facilitate the creation of a common, familiar experience across all of those devices, but fundamentally tailored and unique for each device.
Windows One

They won't just kill off a platform, e.g. stop selling Windows Phone. They'll simply create a singular interface and update all devices to that.

Not surprising at all. It's been apparent for quite a while that they're working toward one unified system.

This. They're not killing off any particular platform, they just want to put the exact same interface on multiple platforms.

However, pretty much all signs so far show show their attempts at developing a unified system have been a dramatic UI failure - so I'd be interested to see what happens next...

pretty much that.

you can see how the windows mobile and windows 8 are closely related with wanting to launch everything from colourful boxes as apps on the screen.

that sort of works in a way when you're looking at phones (which are touch screen) and touch screen tablets, but, I don't have a touch screen display (yet) so it just makes the desktop awkward. (though I'll admit not quite as awkward as the start menu used to be on the old windows 2003 mobile phone that I had).

as well as not having a touchscreen monitor attached to my workstation.

I definitely don't have a touchscreen attached to the virtual server instances of windows server 2012 which has the same interface. (I also fail to see why there is no log off button am I meant to just leave my session on the server open?)

I see that they want to have a unified product, but the reason that they have three products at the moment is that they work in three different sectors that have three different needs.

Back
Top Bottom