Use Integrated with Dedicated graphics

DogSong

Daemon Poster
Okay guys, I have the Geforce 9800 GT and the Core 2 Duo E8400 with integrated graphics, and I was wondering how I could make the Dedicated and Integrated graphics work together so it takes a little off my 9800 and process with the integrated but display with the dedicated or vise versa. Thanks.

briggs&straton is about 95% correct.

There's nothing that will allow this to happen. In fact, most motherboards/chips will disable the 'onboard' GPU once a dedicated GPU is detected. Unless you get down and dirty with some custom written firmware updates, it can't happen.

On that system, you cannot combine both the integrated + the dedicated video cards. Actually, as far as I know, only some Asrock motherboards can do that with a technology called Lucid Virtual GPU if I remember correctly.

Anyway, on your system, it cannot be done since the dedicated will be automatically disabled.

Not only asrock has support for Licud Virtu. It's an integration in the chipset.

I have never used it, but it should give better performance in supported games

Cool. This gives hope that it might become a standard one day. Then we can say goodbye to exclusive SLI and CrossFire combinations.

I tried it. Unfortunately, the results where unsatisfying. Frame rate count increased, but motion has become sluggish like it increases and decreases in speed in a fixed manner. Can't describe it well, but it felt really un-normal, if you know what I mean.

Yeah SLI and crossfire is not for me ether ^^
what you are describing + more heat, noise and power draw

Back
Top Bottom