HELP Connecting external hard drive to computer

peaks

Beta member
Hi guys
I am having a bit of a panic this morning. I came to plug my external hardrive in and the mini usb connector has fallen of the main board connected to the HDD. I've had a look to try and get a new main board but it doesn't seem to be a option as the only ones in can see come from abroad.
I've been trawling the internet trying to find out how to retrieve the data and I've seen a few things saying to just connect it as a internal hard drive.
How do you go about doing this and what will I need to do it ?
Thanks
S

Well if you want it as internal I think you need to unscrew the main HDD case it came in, from their it opens and you'll see the usb is connected to the sata.

Anyway, can't you replace the USB? I mean solider it back on?

Well if you want it as internal I think you need to unscrew the main HDD case it came in, from their it opens and you'll see the usb is connected to the sata.

Anyway, can't you replace the USB? I mean solider it back on?

Think I may have figured it out....
Ive already taken it out of the case and unscrewd to main borad from the hard drive. The mini usb connector is totally screwd and it looks as if its damaged to main board too. Ive read up a bit more online and it seems i can connect it to the sata as you say.
Just want to check this is the correct cable to connect it.....
2.5" Inch Hard Disk Drive SATA 22Pin to eSATA Data + USB Powered Cable 50cm NEW | eBay

Ive already removed the main HDD from its case and taken the mainboard out too.
It looks as if the mini usb connector has snapped clean off and also damaged the board too.
Been reading more online and I think I may have figured out what to do.
Would this cable do the trick in connecting it up to my comp, then just buy a new case to house the HDD in ?
2.5" Inch Hard Disk Drive SATA 22Pin to eSATA Data + USB Powered Cable 50cm NEW | eBay

Back
Top Bottom