Any photographers out there!?

If that's the American version of the 600D which I have recently bought then it's a fantastic camera and that price looks awesome!

The standard 18-55mm lens that comes with it is perfect for beginners, brilliant all round lens.

I can't vouch for any of the other items in the kit but it all looks decent enough!

I don't yet but I have been keeping my eye on this: Sigma 18-200mm f/3.5-6.3 11 DC OS HSM Lens for Canon: Amazon.co.uk: Camera & Photo

Apparently Sigma area good brand for budget lenses, not going to get the build quality of a Canon but value for money is excellent and a huge range of 18 - 200mm is an awesome all rounder, the only bad thing I hear is the focusing can be a tad slow.

Your kit comes with a 75-300mm lens which is still an excellent range but you'll probably have to do quite a bit of swapping around from taking photos of any friends or family on a day out and zooming into something far away.
You probably don't want to be shooting people with anything bigger than a 50 - 60

ya i want to get a nice macro lense and good depth of field lense. maybe a fish eye as well :) i like taking a lot of close ups and non distorted pictures!

I don't yet but I have been keeping my eye on this: Sigma 18-200mm f/3.5-6.3 11 DC OS HSM Lens for Canon: Amazon.co.uk: Camera & Photo

Apparently Sigma area good brand for budget lenses, not going to get the build quality of a Canon but value for money is excellent and a huge range of 18 - 200mm is an awesome all rounder, the only bad thing I hear is the focusing can be a tad slow.

The super range lenses are always very poor quality. You end up with tons of distortion, image quality that's on par with a kit lens at best, and it's incredibly slow and expensive. The only real benefit is not having to change lenses as often. If it's really worth it for that, then go for it, but don't expect to be getting a big upgrade from the 18-55 in terms of image quality.

OP: The t3i is a mighty fine camera. I suggest picking up a 50mm f/1.8 as your next lens, if you like shallow depth of field. You could even take it a step further and get a samyang 85 f/1.4 which would give you incredibly thin dof, but it is a manual lens. Overall image quality is quite impressive for the cost though.

If you want to get started with macro, my reccommedation is to pickup an enlarging lens and a set of macro bellows. Look for schneider or rodenstock lenses, 50-75mm is probably best for an aps camera. This method will give you excellent image quality, and the whole setup should only cost about $100.

Last edited:
wow thanks, ya ive been looking at a few. def gonna get a 50mm or the 85 you were talking about. manual lense is ok for me :)

The super range lenses are always very poor quality. You end up with tons of distortion, image quality that's on par with a kit lens at best, and it's incredibly slow and expensive. The only real benefit is not having to change lenses as often. If it's really worth it for that, then go for it, but don't expect to be getting a big upgrade from the 18-55 in terms of image quality.

OP: The t3i is a mighty fine camera. I suggest picking up a 50mm f/1.8 as your next lens, if you like shallow depth of field. You could even take it a step further and get a samyang 85 f/1.4 which would give you incredibly thin dof, but it is a manual lens. Overall image quality is quite impressive for the cost though.

If you want to get started with macro, my reccommedation is to pickup an enlarging lens and a set of macro bellows. Look for schneider or rodenstock lenses, 50-75mm is probably best for an aps camera. This method will give you excellent image quality, and the whole setup should only cost about $100.

That's absolutely fine with me I personally think the picture quality with the kit lens is perfect? It meets my needs anyways, i'm also not sure how you justify your aguement for the lens being expensive? an 18-200mm lens for £220? That's a bargain in my eyes even with no improved picture quality from the kit lens and slow focusing still a bargain.

Back
Top Bottom