Your sound system

Then I believe it just did not get a market here where I live. The one I had in mind was the phonograph. I just remembered the name:
phonograph.jpg

It got me confused.

Sorry, my bad.

I have my trusty Logitech Z-5500 still but the control pod is starting to act a bit funny. That said, I have been wanting to upgrade with an amp capable of optical in and get some proper speakers.
Been searching ebay, and there are some good cheap speakers on there to be honest that have gotten 5 stars on sound websites.
A nice set of bookshelf speakers would be grand.

Otherwise I have a pair of lovely V-Modo M-100's. Amazing headphones. Can't rate them anymore than I do to be honest.

My car setup is some Mac Component speakers. 6.5inch in the doors, and 1.5-2inch on the dash, with a underseat sub which has its own active amplifier. Sounds superb and truly fills the car, powered off a Pioneer unit.
It isn't boy racer style sound. It is good quality sound.

First off, I had the audio place fit some Sony X-Plods, and I listened to them after fitting and said "Nope... they don't match the sub and there are no details what so ever coming out". Replaced them with the Mac's and I haven't looked back.

I used to have a vinyl player connected to a Samson servo 150 amp.
then to a pair of speakers that I designed and built myself...

I don't really have a sound system set up any more (it's in storage), but I've just set up my raspberry pi as an XBMC device so have all my music playing through the TV, web control via phones and tablets etc...

I used to have a vinyl player connected to a Samson servo 150 amp.
then to a pair of speakers that I designed and built myself...

I don't really have a sound system set up any more (it's in storage), but I've just set up my raspberry pi as an XBMC device so have all my music playing through the TV, web control via phones and tablets etc...

That is on my list of things to do. First I have to get the vinyl to digital. Do the album scrapers work good for music? I think that would be so cool to have all my music on the pi and xbmc with album covers and stuff. I love my raspberry pi. What os are you using? I use Xbian, this latest release is awsome. The usb,sd,turbo combo is by far the best way to run XBMC that I have found yet. But im heatsinked with a fan. I dont know how hot it would get without that stuff. Have you checked out xbmchub yet?

That is on my list of things to do. First I have to get the vinyl to digital. Do the album scrapers work good for music? I think that would be so cool to have all my music on the pi and xbmc with album covers and stuff. I love my raspberry pi. What os are you using? I use Xbian, this latest release is awsome. The usb,sd,turbo combo is by far the best way to run XBMC that I have found yet. But im heatsinked with a fan. I dont know how hot it would get without that stuff. Have you checked out xbmchub yet?
I have been using Rasbian.
but that's because I haven't had a dedicated media need and by choice use the debian linux distribution normally, so rasbian worked for me.

now I'm using the raspbmc OS, mostly because it seems to be the quickest and slickest way to setup a dedicated media centre with a lot of the fat already trimmed...

the art work scraper does work (sort of - some cover art seems missing). but it's a lot better for movies than it is for music. -though might be to do with the way that I'm sorting music also?
I've also got the auto update services turned on, and the auto scan, and have found that the box has sometimes just installed an update and appears to decide to restart itself. just as you're about to put something on.

or other times, you've just dumped a new load of music on the box and it takes a while with downloading the artwork etc for the box to be very responsive, (otherwise it's slow and laggy, and stutters its way through films...)

that said, I have a LOT of music on there, (Enough music that according to windows media player, I could listen to music 24x7 for a month and a half without hearing the same tune twice... so perhaps the amount of files annoy it, or time to return directory listings can seem slow...

for movies, it couldn't be a nicer way to enjoy home entertainment, especially when usign a phone or a tablet as a remote control.

for music, I think that there are probably better solutions out there.

I used to use the raspberry pi for serving small websites from home, I doubt that it has enough processing power or memory to run a media centre solution and extra services like a webserver etc.

And many young people play vinyl records. Plenty of new artists are releasing on vinyl.

Not wanting to drift too much off topic - but why?! I really don't, and never have seen the attraction since we've had CDs. Sure, it was cute in its day but we've replaced it with a superior, cheaper alternative... is there still some widespread myth that they somehow sound better because they're analogue?!

Not wanting to drift too much off topic - but why?! I really don't, and never have seen the attraction since we've had CDs. Sure, it was cute in its day but we've replaced it with a superior, cheaper alternative... is there still some widespread myth that they somehow sound better because they're analogue?!

I dont know why. I guess it all comes down to being free to make choices.

Back
Top Bottom