Why I hate Mondays

iPwn

..m.0,0.m..,
Primarily email. See attached.

*while I don't have to inspect each email, sifting through them is a pain. (as you can see, already deleted 44k)

Attachments

• MondaysSuck.PNG
    MondaysSuck.PNG
    11.9 KB · Views: 38
That's all email starting from last Thursday. I don't sift through emails on Friday haha. Only if it's super important (which means I'll get a text) will I check out the notifications. So, that's from Thursday @3pm to this morning @6am.

Edit: I'm (unfortunately) one of the few employees with unlimited email storage. Sometimes I wish there was a cap. I'd never clean my email

Where I work won't be posted, but I'm a database administrator. Mostly fixing other people's (mostly programmers, some users) mistakes. Instead of following a practical approach to data storage, it seems that our programmers (even after being told numerous times) just don't understand how a database is supposed to work.

For example; There is one in particular that completely misses the point of columns. Instead of having column A > Data; column B > data; etc. He likes to write procedures in our system that simply dump all the data into a single cell and separates it by underscore. So we'll randomly see new tables appear with a single column containing something like 20131125_1156233_012152_22.99_856955_20131126. That string could represent a million different attributes. The first and last are dates, sure, but which are the order number, customer number, and shipment number?
And then that breaks stuff. BUT our leadership team sees our programmers as 'can do no wrong' so regardless of how many times the database guys tell them its terrible for all kinds of reasons, they just say fix it and move on.
It's rare that in this job I am affected by users, but there was one instance where a merchandise buyer entered a delivery date of 1967 for a shipment of product and that caused massive database and server failures (domino effect). Spent the next day fixing replication because of a single cell...
My current boss (good friend, both worked at a previous company) asked me when I started in this role if I was an alcoholic. I said no to which he replied, "Well, either start or develop a drug habit... because you'll need it after a few months."
At first I laughed, now I'm considering alcoholism.
Anywho... /rant

dang, well i will be getting something similar. sysadmin isnt really the same but can be in some ways. users mostly just not paying attention is tough... i see where you are coming from. we have about 900 users over here and its terrible what some of them will do. hahah!! i work with classified information and this new guy decided to scan a document that was secret over the unclassified network.... uhm ya thats the people we have to deal with. and there are lives on the line over here you know.

Someone is doing something wrong. I generally never come back to that many emails.

my inbox has categorised emails for 12 different customers.

I've just counted the emails I've got this year (as I archive my in box yearly).
90k you're getting that in a week?!

if the programmers are a liability, then you need to tell someone exactly WHY...

and exactly what liability this is causing, to be honest how much time it is costing! there is no way that you can read through 45k emails (properly) in a week...

that sort of amount of errors in a weekend is a pretty unhealthy sign!!

Not all of those are errors... we have many processes that run many many times a day. Each time it's successful, send an email. Each time it fails, send an email, again when it retries, again when it completes. I just happen to be one of three people that get every. single. notification in the organization.

That too is not representative of a normal week. We typically do not have that many error notifications. One of the reporting guys wrote a procedure and put it as one of the first nightly procedures to run, more importantly, didn't tell anyone and made no notes, and didn't have it send failure notifications. Didn't update the table for nightly procedures, just arbitrarily stuck it in there. So, when things started failing left and right each night, it took us a long time to figure out why. We went through each procedure with a fine toothed comb, but it wasn't until we looked at the master job list did we find a job that nobody recognized.

I probably get around 20k a week. I agree, it's still stupid. The problem is that all of our software is developed in-house and the manager of the dev team, while he's wildly brilliant, has piss poor management and won't confront his employees about mistakes or poor logic.

The db admins are seen as the masters of the universe, because we fix everything that nobody else can figure out, until we have feedback... then we suddenly don't have enough knowledge on the subject. It's crazy.

It's a fantastic place to work(pay, benefits, people), if you can deal with no decision making any sense at all.

Back
Top Bottom