Build for a friend

but they are ssd, do i really need redundany?

More so than a spinning disk. Your SSD drives will (generally) fail more quickly than a spinning disk. With RAID 3, you get the speed boost of a striped volume, but have the parity disk for data recovery.

It's really not necessary, but you do have a $5,000 learning opportunity, so why not?

More so than a spinning disk. Your SSD drives will (generally) fail more quickly than a spinning disk. With RAID 3, you get the speed boost of a striped volume, but have the parity disk for data recovery.

It's really not necessary, but you do have a $5,000 learning opportunity, so why not?

oh they fail more often? hmm thats kind of weird. Well then you sold me on raid 3 then!! well if i can find a nice raid controller.

They have a shorter life expectancy.

<OffTopic>
That's what really blows me away about SSD's. One of the main goals of moving to flash storage was to remove the mechanical parts of the drive, thus increasing MTTF. At least, during the lead up to SSD (from what I can remember) that was one of the main selling points, no more failed drives.

more quickly as in the life expectancy? or because they get to hot sometimes and just start failing?

more quickly as in the life expectancy? or because they get to hot sometimes and just start failing?

It's not as random as that. Basically, each time electricity passes through to a memory cell, it degrades a layer of oxide that allows the cell to hold its charge. This is a problem in all (commercial) implementations of SSDs. It can only withstand so many passes (referred to as P/E cycles (remember that term, as some SSD's cap at 10,000, others at 100,000)) before a cell becomes unable to hold information.

Back
Top Bottom