Need Help Desperately

Are these threads permanent or can they be deleted - like the whole 1st page cause after that we're getting closer to what my problem really is.

Yay! This is actually an extremely simple fix.

So, on the recovery drive, there is a "bootmgr" file. Your drive requires the same file, but in all CAPS. So, put the drive in another PC so you can work on it. Copy the "bootmgr" file from the recovery partition to the main drive. Then rename the "bootmgr" file to "the" then rename it again to "BOOTMGR" (Windows won't allow you to rename a file where you only capitalize letters, hence changing to "the" first).

Boot the PC :)

Or if you are still booting from a DOS usb, you can issue these command against the machine

Once in DOS, find out
which drive is the recovery drive (we'll call it r: in this demo)
which drive is the root drive (we'll call it c: in this demo)

Commands:
cd r:
xcopy bootmgr c: (if xcopy doesn't work, just use 'copy' instead)
cd c:
ren bootmgr the
ren the BOOTMGR

Last edited:
I requested hubby to put in the old hdd - got the same message. I rebooted and went to BIOS did a diagnostic on hdd - failed 7% readable. I have 2 computers, desktop and the non working netbook - where exactly would I put the hp drive to work on it - new territory for me. I remembered doing the BIOS diagnostic on the netbook hdd which made me believe that HP was right about needing a new hdd for netbook.

Remember when in dos I did a diskpart and got "bad command" and dir shows only what is on the usb. Did come up with another solution - buy a 32GB usb, then all the recovery files along with the image data I got from HP will fit.

Last edited:
Just as a thought I went to the desktop and compares the files on the usb & recovery cd, they are they same. I got the image data from HP - ? just add the files to the usb or insert them into the image.sys file? I still need the 32GB usb since the image data is 1.?GB and there isn't enough room on the 16GB which after formating NTFS is actually 14GB

You know what might work...

First, you need a USB that is larger than the actual recovery partition.

Use a program called Clonezilla to boot from and follow the directions here until you get to the screenshot under "Choose "disk_to_local_disk"" and instead select part_to_local_part. From there, you need to make sure it is the recovery partition (notice size of recovery partition) as the source. Then you can select the usb stick as the target. Then boot from that. I will copy the volume bit by bit so there are no questions of format or boot configuration.

As a note, your harddrive should be "sda(x)" and the usb should be "sdb(x)

Back
Top Bottom