First my system specs are:

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2400 CPU @ 3.10GHz (4 CPUs), ~3.1GHz
Memory: 8192MB RAM (1333)
OS Hard Drive: OCZ Vertex 2 60GB SSD
Backup Drive Samsung Spinpoint F4EG 2TB
Card name: AMD Radeon HD 6900 Series
Card name: AMD Radeon HD 6900 Series
Motherboard: Asus P8H67-M Pro
Operating System: Windows 8 Pro 64-bit (6.2, Build 9200) (9200.win8_gdr.130531-1504)
BIOS: BIOS Date: 04/20/12 10:17:49 Ver: 37.01
Previous BIOS version was from 2010 (0307)

So when i had Windows 7 installed it takes about 15 seconds to be useable from a cold boot.

Windows 8 takes around 35 seconds. I don't get why. Thought 8 was supposed to be faster. If I enable fast boot it takes around the same time as 7. But then I have to leave hibernation on and that takes so many GB of disk space (60GB OCZ SSD). Plus it's pretty much usless in my case as I always power off at the wall when I go to sleep.

I had to update my Bios for fast boot to even work. That was a nightmare in itself. After the bios update. No display. Had to remove my GPUs and pull the CMOS and connect to onboard graphics... Eventually found a bios that flashed fully succesfully.

Anyone have any ideas as to what I can do to make WIndows 8 boot faster without fastboot?

to be honest, because windows 8 is a horrible OS and all of the differenct nonsense services windows 8 uses makes it that much slower. I saw that Windows 8.1 came out, try that. It looks so much nicer and you dont have to do "research" to try and figure out how to shutdown your computer. :)

^ False, false, and yes, 8.1 is out.

Also, the shutdown process hasn't changed at all.

-----------------------------------

@OP
Did you upgrade from 7 to 8 or was it a clean install?

to be honest, because windows 8 is a horrible OS and all of the differenct nonsense services windows 8 uses makes it that much slower. I saw that Windows 8.1 came out, try that. It looks so much nicer and you dont have to do "research" to try and figure out how to shutdown your computer. :)

Windows 8 isn't a horrible OS, It just isn't really for non-touchscreen computers, It is more for computers with touchscreens and tablets. Have you actually tried it out for yourself, I tested it in a dualboot setup on my laptop with Windows 7 and apart from a BSOD from boot related issues it worked fine. These tests that someone performed against Windows 7 in a few tests proves that Windows 8 boots a like quicker http://usabilitygeek.com/windows-8-vs-windows-7-speed-and-performance-testing/

what ever happened to switching the pc/laptop on, going for a pee/make a drink come back to find computer is on?

This worlds getting very inpatient.

I have tried it, It took me the longest time to figure out how to even shut it down. I mean yes, the OS looks great and all but TOO much of a change. 8.1 is great just used it last night, a huge difference from regular win 8. Also the head creater getting fired..
Microsoft's man in charge of creating Windows 8, Steven Sinofsky, was fired today! Is it because Windows 8 sucks so bad? - Brian Madden - BrianMadden.com

See you have MAC, great looking computer you use it for a while because the people that use it have been for a long time. When Apple comes out with new OS they dont really re-engineer the whole thing. Make great updates and new software. Like even the IOS yes it looks different but pretty much still the same. I feel that thats what Microsoft should do. Sorry if im just talking out of my ass.. I just really dislike Windows 8 for some reason.

Window 8 is faster the window 7 that for real

Yes with the latest hardware indeed, wouldn't go to far tho, it's like people said xp was faster then vista, true, but only with a single core, add dual core, vista runs faster then xp, so to be quite honest, it depends what hardware you're using and if it's old/new.

Back
Top Bottom