Build for a friend

Re: Build for a frien

yes, raid 0 for the SSD's and then raid 5 for the data drives. that is the whole reason for 3 of them.

ya i almost crapped my pants, i asked the mother of the kid that i am building it for her how much she wanted to spend. and she was like "$10,000? is that enough?" and i was like UHM "drooling" ya thatll be enough, then i was like i can build a bad ass one for like 5000 and she was like ok! so its really for her 14 YEAR OLD SON!!

Damn, for $5000, I could build a sweet dual Opteron rig.

May I ask about the RAID 5 though? Write performance is going to hurt a lot. Could do a RAID 0 with a nice backup plan.

The setup looks great thus far.

re: RAID
I would put the 3x2TB drives in RAID 0. You create a larger disk and have the option of partitioning the drive into custom sized drives. You also gain a slight speed boost.

I would then purchase another SSD and put those three in RAID 3.

Why not upgrade the RAM to 32GB?

ya i was think about getting 3 ssd's. and then getting 4 2tb and raid 50 them. all those raids would also require a raid controller... :( guess ill be doing a little more shopping. google is being stupid for me right. whats raid 3 consist of?

google started working!

raid 3 byte striped where raid 5 is block. and raid 3 has dedicated parity and raid 5 has it spanned out between the blocks. but they are ssd, do i really need redundany?

Back
Top Bottom