Using your ipod as a usb drive

~mr mixx~

The Candyman
Yes it's true, you can use your IPOD as a USB drive. before USB drives came out i was messing around & got the thought "i wonder if i could store my files on this IPOD"...well to my suprize it worked.

I have an 8 gig. IPOD that i picked up at a pawn shop for $15 bucks. anyways this IPOD holds all my programs and pictures and still works fine. i still use it for storage, but soon i'm going to buy a 16 gig. USB stick. ;)

This reminds me of when I bought my first digital camera which used a 32MB SmartMedia storage card. I had a device that looked like a floppy disk that I could plug the card in and then insert into a floppy disk drive. I used it like a 32MB floppy. This is well before USB thumb drives came along.

Found a picture of the device:
sm_flpy.jpg

I bought a 64G thumb drive a few weeks ago and it cost less than the 32M SmartMedia card I bought in 1996!

Last edited:
As a long as you have the option enabled in iTunes to allow disk use it should work..

Well even before i installed Itunes on my computer i use to make a folder onto the ipod and then just drag my files into the folder i made and it works fine.

I still store my files on there only because when ever i want to install programs onto a friends computer, i can just plug it into their computer and install any program onto their computer straight from the ipod plugged into the USB slot.

I know i can store them files on cd's or dvd's and i do have them backed up on these, but i like storing them onto my ipod cause i can add or erase programs as see fit.

Back
Top Bottom