Thinking of adding an SSD

andy1027

In Runtime
Do you think the HD103SJ would be a good enough drive to go along with the Kingston 120GB HyperX 3K SATA 6Gb/s ?Kingston 120GB HyperX 3K SATA 6Gb/s 2.5" Solid State Drive (SH103S3/120G) - dabs.com

The obvious scenario: Solid State Kingston Drive for Win 7 64Bit and the Samsung HD103SJ as the big drive for my applications.

My existing setup is just the HD103SJ being used as my PC's hard drive. However I want to add the SSD to this and have it boot windows for me.

I'd probably pop a few applications onto the SSD as well as GTA V (when and if it comes out for PC lol)

Let me know what you guys think!

Thank you all :)

Sure why not. Any combination of any storage devices can get along together as long as the motherboard can run them and each unit's capacity makes sense. I'm personally doing this. The system is on a 128GB SSD and all other stuff are on HDD's. The only difference is I'm running 4 HDD's (3x4TB and 1x2TB) not just one. Just a week ago it was that same SSD + 2.5GB total HDD's capacity and it held up for a long time.

That 128GB SSD + the Samsung 1TB or 2TB HDD is a good combination.
In case you don't know yet, your mobo does not support 6GB SATA3 It only supports up to 3GB SATA2, so it might not utilize the SSD to the fullest. But still much faster than HDD.

Yeah it's properly not gonna use it to it's fullest. But anyway, you are gonna be glad you got it.
I'll never go back to only a standard HDD as boot drive again. SSD's are soo much faster.

Just note that your SSD is not gonna have more then 100GB after it has been formatted and windows installed.

If you aren't on a budget I'd get a bigger SSD if you want the extra space to store your OS and programs if you have a lot.

Just note that your SSD is not gonna have more then 100GB after it has been formatted and windows installed.

On my Intel 128GB SSD I got 120,031,539,200 bytes (111GB) in NTFS format. I only did a quick format the first time.

Probably each brand has its own space allocation.

Yeah. But i also said after windows have been installed.
So if you have 111Gb after the NTFS format, then after windows 7 is installed you will have less then 90 GB

Back
Top Bottom