Laptop Stuck On BIOS Load Screen/Won't Load Vista

Remove the power and the BIOS battery and let it sit like that for several hours. Removing the BIOS battery and letting its capacitors drain will return it to factory defaults.

I have done this (removed battery for 24 hours and put a new one in). It has not worked. :(

Also I know the hard drive still works, because I have attached it to another computer.

What was it that you were doing before any of this? Was an external drive plugged in? Maybe a USB? I ask because once I had an external connected and I didn't shut down correctly and the only way I was able to get it back going was by plugging it back in and turning it back on.

It isn't my laptop (it's my brothers).

It was doing a Windows Update as far as I am aware and no USB stuff was plugged in.

The blue bar at the bottom of the screen doesn't reach the end of the 'box'.

You're gonna have to boot up with a Windows 7 (or vista, whatever you may have) disk. The installation probably F*ed up your bios or you got some malware, and the entire OS needs reinstalled

If it was doing an update where it said not to turn off your computer and he did anyway, it fried the OS. Format the drive and reinstall windows.

If he can't get past the BIOS screen, how is he supposed to reinstall the OS?

You have a hardware problem most likely. If you have more than one stick of RAM, try booting with only one in (try each). If there's only a single stick in there, you may need to find a known working one and try booting with that.

This image is not of your laptop, but shows what the RAM sticks look like.
memory_5.jpg

If he can't get past the BIOS screen, how is he supposed to reinstall the OS?

You have a hardware problem most likely. If you have more than one stick of RAM, try booting with only one in (try each). If there's only a single stick in there, you may need to find a known working one and try booting with that.

This image is not of your laptop, but shows what the RAM sticks look like.
memory_5.jpg

I've already done that the other day and still no luck.

This doesn't look promising...

From Samsung's support site:
If you were unable to access the BIOS, your laptop requires service. Please click the "Create Online Service Request" button below to begin the service process.

source

Did you get a BIOS update from Samsung recently?

Edit: Check this out.

Try the RTC Reset pins located near the BIOS battery connector. "Short" them with a screwdriver for 2-3 seconds

To the right of the words "RTC Reset" you can see two small gold 'pins'. Connect those.

s9-e1376043735937.jpg

Last edited:
This doesn't look promising...

From Samsung's support site:

Did you get a BIOS update from Samsung recently?

I have already seen the thing on the Samsung website and no doubt it would cost a lot for them to look at it because it has no warranty left on it.

And it has never had a BIOS update.

Try the RTC Reset pins located near the BIOS battery connector. "Short" them with a screwdriver for 2-3 seconds

To the right of the words "RTC Reset" you can see two small gold 'pins'. Connect those.

s9-e1376043735937.jpg

Will try this tomorrow and hopefully it will work.

What does RTC Reset actual do?

I guess the loose motherboard just needs to CMOS battery in place to do the RTC reset (short it). Seen as I have to take everything out of the laptop because there isn't an access panel on the bottom?

Have just shorted the RTC reset pins, first with no laptop battery and it didn't solve the problem, and tried with the laptop battery in place and still no luck. :(

Kind of going to throw a stick across the room, should work, don't see why not, don't ask why just do, theirs many reasons as to why it's not booting and one could be a simple problem, try reseating the CPU, make sure the memory is out and all powers are off... I think this may just solve the problem.

Or take the whole thing to bits and retry that... sounds to be like it could be a fault with the memory but having said that you've tried this, can't you run a diagnostics test?

Back
Top Bottom