298MB is 98% of 5.89GB Usable RAM?

FieraFan

Beta member
Hi,

Kinda confused with my pc that keeps on blacking out on me while on facebook. I have this newer Samsung desktop with an i3 and 6gb of ram and I'm constantly told I'm running out of memory, saying I'm using 98% when my total usage is 298MB out of an available 5.89GB. I don't have that many programs as my wife and I only use it for social media and the occasional youtube. I'm not a gamer and I don't have...well many programs installed.

I feel like I'm missing something or is my math outdated?

Thanks for any help. :)

Oh, and I'm running windows 8, if that helps.
Thanks again.

Last edited:
Have you run any virus, adware, malware, or spyware scans recently? Maybe you got infected with something and the pop up is not legit. Just a thought.

Posting a screenshot of the message would help. Or at least the exact message window's title and the exact message on it.

Thanks for your quick response guys. I apologize I couldn't get back on earlier. I actually got sick from overexertion on some weekend project (lol). Anyways, I'll try to get some screenshot if it happens again. Seems to have abated since I've deleted some programs I didn't recognize.

I use AVG free and I have the windows8 firewall, which I don't have much confidence in (based on what I've read about it on the web), but for which I can't find a suitable replacement at the moment. I used to run Sygate Personal Firewall but I no longer can because I now have a 64 bit o/s. I apparently have a 441gb solidstate h/d (I still have a whopping...for me....freespace of 371gb).

Thanks for all your inputs fellas.

Last edited:
bring up end task manager, click processors, click the memory tab, show me a screenie.

It sounds like spyware, malewayre bites download and scan and then give a download of an old version of ccleaner, early 2013 release data for ccleaner, run a scan 2x and run a registry scan, fix all issues.

Goto desktop, open my computer, open c drive, open windows, goto folder ''Prefetch'' delete everything inside apart from ''readyboot''

Now restart, press f8, goto safemode, once open, type MSCONFIG, click start up, make sure all the crap you don't need loading at windows is ticked off, resume in safe mode, give it another scan on maleware, and again with ccleaner, now restart the system, hopefully it's all fixed, once this has been done, make a restore point, simply click start, programs, access..., system tools, system restore, create a point.

Everything should work fine now.

Enjoy.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom