Need a new motherboard

duramax

Solid State Member
The motherboard on my 366 day old HP took a dump. I've gotten the run around from the HP tech dingleberries, so sending it back to them is not an option. The local tech place said a new mobo is backordered until forever. So now I have a $629 paper weight. It's a HP h8-1256s. Can I just throw a different mobo in it? Could I buy a new case and mobo and transfer all the parts? Or do I have to buy a new pc?
pcrage.gif
I'm not afraid to dig around in this pig or put a new one together, the problem is that I don't know all the pc wizardry of what works with what.
Here is a link to my pc. I haven't added anything additional to it. HP Pavilion HPE h8-1256s Desktop PC Product Specifications | HP® Support
Any help would be appreciated.

Hard to say. It may be proprietary to the PC and it's made by Foxconn.

Maybe an email to Foxconn?

Well yes you can buy a new case and motherboard and use your old parts provided that they'll work with the new motherboard, I'd go for this option,

Well yes you can buy a new case and motherboard and use your old parts provided that they'll work with the new motherboard, I'd go for this option,

Thanks. Now the next stupid question. If I get a mobo with the same parameters as the current one is it as simple as plugging everything in and firing it up?

Thanks. Now the next stupid question. If I get a mobo with the same parameters as the current one is it as simple as plugging everything in and firing it up?

No because Windows doesn't like it when you try boot from hard drive with completely new hardware especially motherboards, So you would need to reinstall windows and all the drivers.

You might even need to re-activate Windows by phone if it detects the change in hardware and blocks system access. Been there, done that. If you're lucky, Windows will ask for the re-activation if it as least manages to boot with the new mobo instead of giving blue screens of so.

Your only choice for now anyways is to get the new mobo, install it and see what happens. First things first. I also suggest getting the exact same model of the mobo. The model is usually printed on it inside.

Your only choice for now anyways is to get the new mobo, install it and see what happens. First things first. I also suggest getting the exact same model of the mobo. The model is usually printed on it inside.

Thats the problem. I can't find the same model mobo anywhere except fleabay, and I don't buy electronics off ebay. The only other option is to send it to HP:pcmad:, or take it to the Easy Tech guys. In both cases it's going to cost over $200, a third of the cost of the pc.

I feel you man. It is really annoying to not find a part that is compatible with the system.

Give me sometime and I'll see what other supported mobos I can recommend according to your link of your computer. Hopefully the details are enough.

Edit:
Done! If you are ready to fix it yourself, all you need to find is a motherboard supporting LGA1155 socket and make sure it supports at least one PCI Express x1 mini card because you have a wireless/bluetooth card that needs it. All other components are standard that any mobo can handle it. This mini pci-e is the problem here. I couldn't find any LGA1155 mobo supporting it. Sorry about that.

Last edited:
Edit:
Done! If you are ready to fix it yourself, all you need to find is a motherboard supporting LGA1155 socket and make sure it supports at least one PCI Express x1 mini card because you have a wireless/bluetooth card that needs it. All other components are standard that any mobo can handle it. This mini pci-e is the problem here. I couldn't find any LGA1155 mobo supporting it. Sorry about that.

Thanks for the help. As far as the wireless/bluetooth, I could care less about it. The pc is parked 2ft from the router/modem. Will pc still function if I get a mobo without the wireless/bluetooth? Another question. All the mobos I'm finding are micro ATX with the exception of maybe 2. Will the micro ATX still work? Again, thanks for the help.

Yes, it will work. You will just lose the wireless/bluetooth functions without that card. You will need a mobo at least with built-in LAN card however to connect to the router with a cable.

Yes, micro mobos will work in your case. Actually, the busted mobo was micro. On your link it says uATX that actually means micro ATX.

Back
Top Bottom