New Motherboard

Also, after an issue that required me to look in the PC and see a clogged heatsink, I have decided that I want a closed loop water cooling system. Any recommendations?

Mossiac

You saw a clogged heat sink. Did you take the time to clean it? You'd be amazed at what you can do with a horsehair brush, a can of air, and 30 minutes of your time.

Well I decided that the dust in the heatsink was fine. As long as it wasn't in the PC at all and thusly took the time to clean the entire innards of my computer. Though it didn't have that much impact on the temps. So I think the thermal paste is shot.

Mossiac

Well I decided that the dust in the heatsink was fine....

Dust in the heatsink is never fine.

...I think the thermal paste is shot.

Forgive me for being blunt, but no. Just no.

I hope I'm misunderstanding your post and you did clean the dust out of the heatsink. You would be surprised at how much a small amount of dust can affect temperatures.

I hope I'm misunderstanding your post and you did clean the dust out of the heatsink. You would be surprised at how much a small amount of dust can affect temperatures.

I think that you may have misunderstood a bit. I did indeed clean out the PC. I will be doing so again in the next week or two as the can of air that I was using had ran out half way through the cleaning process.

Sorry for the spat of confusion.

Forgive me for being blunt, but no. Just no.

May I ask why you think the thermal paste is ok?? As I managed to clean the heatsink and processor before the air ran out, and it didn't really affect the core temps too much. So logic presents that the paste is just dust surely.

But to be honest as long as I can keep the PC cool enough to operate then I'm happy. I do hope to have a new one in the next couple of months.

Mossiac

I have honestly never seen thermal paste go bad. Of course if you removed the heatsink from the CPU, you will need to clean off the old paste and apply new.

The paste can be dry and still be thermally conductive.

Oh ok. No I haven't removed the heatsink just the fan in order to get to the heatsink.

Mossiac

Back
Top Bottom