Overclocking E8400

vcore setting will be in your bios. Im saying to get a stable oc of 4ghz you will have to increase the voltage. Im also saying at 3.2 ghz like you said you were at, is most likely attainable without any voltage increase. You are only going to smoke your chip with heat which will be caused by a voltage increase. There are a lot of things involved with overclocking. Learn about fsb,multipliers,vcore,memory timings and voltages, locking pci slots etc...... I see you said you are using some type of software to OC. I have never done that I have always used the bios. Which I think Is the only way you can really OC properly.

Last edited:
vcore setting will be in your bios. Im saying to get a stable oc of 4ghz you will have to increase the voltage. Im also saying at 3.2 ghz like you said you were at, is most likely attainable without any voltage increase. You are only going to smoke your chip with heat which will be caused by a voltage increase. There are a lot of things involved with overclocking. Learn about fsb,multipliers,vcore,memory timings and voltages, locking pci slots etc...... I see you said you are using some type of software to OC. I have never done that I have always used the bios. Which I think Is the only way you can really OC properly.

I'll try that! Thank you!

3.3 Ghz! I'm nervous to go further lol

3.3 Ghz! I'm nervous to go further lol

Just to cheer you up, I came back to tell you, that you have pretty much nothing to worry about. My CPU is at 4.2GHz, and I didn't go higher just because I dont have the cooling for it. Also If I were you, I would look up some guide on overclocking your CPU with a cooler that atleast matches yours.

One more thing, until your PC crashes or your temperature will go too high (look your CPU max operating temperature aswell!), you can go up with the overclock. I myself looked up a guide on overclocking my CPU and copied his settings, and It's running smoothly for about an year and all I got is H80i from Corsair, and If you don't know, thats a 120mm rad so a lot worse than yours. (240mm rad couldn't fit in my case :( )

Just to cheer you up, I came back to tell you, that you have pretty much nothing to worry about. My CPU is at 4.2GHz, and I didn't go higher just because I dont have the cooling for it. Also If I were you, I would look up some guide on overclocking your CPU with a cooler that atleast matches yours.

One more thing, until your PC crashes or your temperature will go too high (look your CPU max operating temperature aswell!), you can go up with the overclock. I myself looked up a guide on overclocking my CPU and copied his settings, and It's running smoothly for about an year and all I got is H80i from Corsair, and If you don't know, thats a 120mm rad so a lot worse than yours. (240mm rad couldn't fit in my case :( )

Thanks for the info! My question is, why didn't you say this earlier instead of firing arrows at me about my build? And I'm thinking of upgrading my GPU again, so should I go with a 650, 7850, or 260? Thanks guys!

Thanks for the info! My question is, why didn't you say this earlier instead of firing arrows at me about my build? And I'm thinking of upgrading my GPU again, so should I go with a 650, 7850, or 260? Thanks guys!

Go for either 650 or 7850..

About GPU? Hmmm... I will tell you this much, look up some benchmarks, I personally have MSI GTX 660Ti and It can run BF4 and Extreme Settings at constant 60FPS (Obviously, FPS drops are still a problem). I didn't really do a research on AMD GPU's but I can tell you that 7850 is better that 260... And by 650, you meant 650TI/Boost? Because if not, go for 7850...

About GPU? Hmmm... I will tell you this much, look up some benchmarks, I personally have MSI GTX 660Ti and It can run BF4 and Extreme Settings at constant 60FPS (Obviously, FPS drops are still a problem). I didn't really do a research on AMD GPU's but I can tell you that 7850 is better that 260... And by 650, you meant 650TI/Boost? Because if not, go for 7850...

No the TI would've put me over the 500 watt mark. I thought it seemed fishy that the 7850 ran at like half the TDP

No the TI would've put me over the 500 watt mark. I thought it seemed fishy that the 7850 ran at like half the TDP

Have on thing in mind, If your PSU is 500W then it can actually deliver 550W at peak, so don't worry about that too too much, but still watch out for that , you dont want to overload/overhear your PSU.

Back
Top Bottom