Overclocking E8400

DogSong

Daemon Poster
Hey guys, just got my new MOBO and case in today, and I got a Corsair H60 water cooler for the cpu, the motherboard is the ASRock G31M-GS R2.0, and I just want to know where I should OC my CPU to. Thanks!

Hey guys, just got my new MOBO and case in today, and I got a Corsair H60 water cooler for the cpu, the motherboard is the ASRock G31M-GS R2.0, and I just want to know where I should OC my CPU to. Thanks!

Btw guys, I'm running Arma II now at 62 FPS average compared to 12 FPS average with the Pentium D 915

You bought all that crap for a core2duo cpu?

All you're going to do if you kick the multiplier up is degrade the chip and shorten the life.
Besides why did you buy a cpu chip who's entire family has been EOL-ed?

For the price of the H60, you could have bought a Intel i5 Grade or maybe even better CPU (Depends on your country). My suggestion is to return the CPU and H60 if possible and buy a decent i5 CPU (Like Intel® Core™ i5-4440). Or even just pay some more and go for i7. But If you are gaming, i5 should be no problem for you. Also one more thing, did you think about getting a AMD CPU? Currently it's cheaper and If you are not a Intel fanboy, It wouldn't be a bad choice.

For the price of the H60, you could have bought a Intel i5 Grade or maybe even better CPU (Depends on your country). My suggestion is to return the CPU and H60 if possible and buy a decent i5 CPU (Like Intel® Core™ i5-4440). Or even just pay some more and go for i7. But If you are gaming, i5 should be no problem for you. Also one more thing, did you think about getting a AMD CPU? Currently it's cheaper and If you are not a Intel fanboy, It wouldn't be a bad choice.

In order to go upgrade to an Intel i5/i7 CPU he'd need to get a new motherboard as the ASRock G31M doesn't support those CPU's ASRock > G31M-GS R2.0.

Ok I just realized what he put in that "rig", I'm sorry, but making such computer in 2013... No, just, no.

Sorry, I can't justify putting a $300 mobo CPU combo in a PC. It's ridiculous. The Core 2 Quad out performs the i5-3570K, so why go that route?! And the H60 was refurbished and costed me $40. And what's sad is, most 6 and 4 core AMD CPUs won't match the performance of the E8400, so go figure

Last edited:
You bought all that crap for a core2duo cpu?

All you're going to do if you kick the multiplier up is degrade the chip and shorten the life.
Besides why did you buy a cpu chip who's entire family has been EOL-ed?

No, I'm buying another mobo for my brother and I'm putting the 8400 in his, and I'm buying a q9450

Sorry, I can't justify putting a $300 mobo CPU combo in a PC. It's ridiculous. The Core 2 Quad out performs the i5-3570K, so why go that route?! And the H60 was refurbished and costed me $40. And what's sad is, most 6 and 4 core AMD CPUs won't match the performance of the E8400, so go figure

You are making non future-proof computer. If you would like to upgrade later on (2-3 years later), you probably wont be able to. Why are you buying such old parts? I mean. Most todays motherboards (Probably all of them) are based on LGA 1155, 2011, ex... You are buying Mobo with socket from 2004! I don't judge you, but my question is Why?

Back
Top Bottom