Need Help Desperately

rhozgordon

Solid State Member
Hi, I'm Mrs G, just turned 60 but have been working on computers for 30 years. I said working on not building or dealing with hardware mostly software. Anyway my hp mini 110 hd operating on xp crashed - call HP of course and their recommendation was to buy another hdd since they no longer had them in supply. Did that copied the recovery disk to usb flash, inserted it and at first it said "windows loading", then got "insert boot disk". Called HP they told me the recovery disk is only to recovery a drive that's been used - new hdd has nothing on it so there is nothing to recover. Contacted the seller of the hdd and he said I have to load a "full version of OEM OS' - made since to me til I saw the prices. Searched everywhere to find these files to download, haven't given up yet but since it's a new hdd can't I now load it with windows 7 instead of staying with xp, saw a lot of downloads for that but not for OEM OS free or relatively inexpensive - any one out there with any suggestions? The netbook is mine and the desktop is his and he's not too happy about sharing.:facepalm:

Why buy a brand new license for $100+ Seems kinda silly and a huge waste of money.

Have you tried asking HP if they have the ability to send you recovery disks? It might cost you a bit but not nearly as much as a new license. I've looked around for a free, legal ISO download but I couldn't find one for you so I think that might be your cheapest option.

I don't understand - I can't copy recovery disc (6.83 GB) to usb flash drive (14.5 GB) it keeps telling me that the recovery.wim (6.66) doesn't have enough room to copy to usb, even when I tried just to copy the recovery.wim - I went to my clone copier the the files came out in number .01 etc - what am I doing wrong?

Well I did a properties view of the recovery disk and it's not fat32 it's udf - now I'm looking to see how to format the usb to udf - is that possible? if it is will the copy of the recovery disk work?

Last edited:
I don't understand - I can't copy recovery disc (6.83 GB) to usb flash drive (14.5 GB) it keeps telling me that the recovery.wim (6.66) doesn't have enough room to copy to usb, even when I tried just to copy the recovery.wim

Try formatting the USB to NTFS. FAT32 cannot allocate a single file greater than 4GB.

Yes that did work, unfortunately the copy has reported problems tried prgs like wintoflash and got:" have The copy d: to e: it's still running message "any problems, try, again or cancel:
When loading prgs mentioned before got;'Can't discover Windows version on the CD/DVD you have selected. Maybe you selected wrong directory, this CD/DVD is damaged or has unsupported modifications. Please use original Windows CD/DVD from Microsoft if possible, not every recovery CD/DVD can be transferred to a USB drive.

If you are trying to transfer Windows XP/2003 CD select the directory contents i386 (or AMD64) folder, usually its drive root, like D:\. Do not select i386 (or AMD64) folder itself! Also be sure file dosnet.inf exists in the folder i386 (or AMD64).

If you are trying to transfer Windows Vista/2008/7/8 DVD select the directory contents Sources folder, usually its drive root, like D:\. Do not select Sources folder itself! Also be sure file install.wim (or install.swm) exists in the Sources folder."

From trying different prgs like IMBurn and wintoflash, hate to give up but can't make any money if computer doesn't work. Its been only a week and I'm surprised how depressed I've become. Friend suggested rent-a-center and I almost, almost thought it might make sense to do just that.

F----rent a center I don't use them because you spend 3 times the amount of whatever you want cost. I've been taking breaks from this issue and it hit me - if i could just get to the dos (c:\) I could install the drivers for the external DVD drive I have and then use the original recovery disk - anyone know how to make a ms-dos bootable usb flash drive?

Last edited:
Thank God No longer Desperate

DOS-on-USB (C)2008 James Holmes is free ware that loaded dos and got me to the c:\prompt. Searched immediately for dos commands (it's been 15 years since I've used them) I can see the light at end the tunnel, still have to use usb to boot but once I see dos71 loading I can remove it. I guess now I need to add the external dvd drive, drivers at dos? Then I can actually run the all powerful hp recovery disk - I thank everyone who responded, you got me to search, gave great answers and ideas, a little creative, which is fun at 60:)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom