RAM Performance

samtronswt

Solid State Member
I'm currently running Windows 8 64 Bit.

I have 8GB of ram and yet without ANY big programs running, just about 3 small ones 6.1GB is being consumed. That can't be normal, can it?

What kind of PC do you have? It is possible that your graphics card is integrated and shares the physical RAM. So Windows may be using 2-3, graphics 1-2, and running programs = remaining. You could have have stuff stuck in ram. Remove all power sources and 'power on' the PC to flush the RAM.

EDIT: What programs are set in the startup? Those could be running in the background, consuming additional RAM.

I just think that the pagefile service is holding off to much of my applications in the RAM stick cause in task manager theres only about 650 mb being used with all the applications in total, so abbout 5.5GB is being used from something else.

My video card is not an integrated one but instead an ATI 6970 Radeon HD.

Try checking the "Resource Monitor". In Win7 it is under "Task Manager" on the "Performance" tab.

It might shows processes not seen on the "Processes" tab.

Ok I know a few people that don't turn the PC off unless they need to. So with that have you rebooted since the original post?? As Windows isn't great at keeping the RAM free of no longer needed items.

Also try Process Explorer (I think you can still get it on the Microsoft site). That will give you a good break down of where the RAM is being used. And Glary Utilities has a tool that cleans out the RAM. Try that and see how much it clears.

Mossiac

This may be a dumb question, but have you scanned for Malware? I was infected about a week ago and found it was because a Mal program was running in the backround just sucking my CPU and my RAM under

Back
Top Bottom