windows 7 wont detect my tape drive

vrones

Beta member
hi everyone

i have a hp storage works 160 tape drive i have it installed but windows wont detect it i can see it in device manager and also in acronis back up but windows does not detect it does any one know what the problem maybe or what i can try to resolve the problem

yes they are as the drive is detected in device manager and i can also see the drive in acronis back up but cant see it in windows i have a hp storage works ultrium 3 960 internal tape drive

Go to the start menu, Right click on computer then select manage then disk management then storage as it may not be partitioned correctly.

i gave that a try its not showing up in disk management i find it very odd i can see it in device manager and acronis back up but not in windows is there any way to check weather i have the correct drivers for sure,also thanks for the help

Go to the start menu, Right click on computer then select manage then disk management then storage as it may not be partitioned correctly.

It's a tape drive, not a hard drive so there is nothing to partition.

Maybe it's trying to use the same drive letter as another drive (one of the USB ports or a card reader port)? You can change the drive letter from disk management.

Ok have you tried shutting down, unplugging the tape drive, powering the PC up, checking if it still comes up in disk manager. Then shut down again, plug it back in, and seeing what happens?

Mossiac

OK let's retract previous statements and just say this.
For the amount of money you gave for that, I would be on the phone with HP tech support first thing in the morning.
They make a USB, SAS LV, SCSI versions. You still have to install it in windows as a new device.

Last edited:
Ummm...
Tapes don't show up in my computer.
Tapes aren't really even supported by ms any more, (there are no ms drivers for tapes any more only manufacturer (hp) drivers.

The only way you can read or write from tapes is using software to do it (eg backup exec or something like that) using drivers supplied by the tape manufacturer (hp) or generic drivers supplied by the backup software vendor (e.g veritas drivers supplied by Symantec).

Don't expect your tape to show up as a drive, it won't.

Back
Top Bottom