Random Chit Chat

Thanks guys! Since I left ages ago I've gotten married, got a job back in the IT sector, etc , etc...

Safe to say ALOT has changed, but I hope to stick around for a while. Who is the admin nowadays? Is Dave still around?

Hmm.

Long time no see.

How is everyone :lol:

Wow, it really has been a while. I looked at your post history, and it seems you haven't been here regularly since 2011. I like that we're getting some of the old members back. This place was pretty dead for a while.

I just got back from a midnight bike ride. I'm not sure why people think that's so suspicious. I had a car pull to the center of the road and turn so it was pretty much barricaded. I realized I didn't have my pepper spray (I usually keep some taped to the handlebar since I sometimes get guys creeping on me) and started freaking out. The guy starts interrogating me about what I'm doing, where I'm going, where I live, etc. I was like "the hell, you're driving at this hour too." Apparently only people who can afford cars should be allowed to go places after dark... It was a pretty nice ride overall though. It's around 50F (~9C), so I can bring a camp stove and have some tea up on the levee.

Last edited:
Wow, it really has been a while. I looked at your post history, and it seems you haven't been here regularly since 2011. I like that we're getting some of the old members back. This place was pretty dead for a while.

I just got back from a midnight bike ride. I'm not sure why people think that's so suspicious. I had a car pull to the center of the road and turn so it was pretty much barricaded. I realized I didn't have my pepper spray (I usually keep some taped to the handlebar since I sometimes get guys creeping on me) and started freaking out. The guy starts interrogating me about what I'm doing, where I'm going, where I live, etc. I was like "the hell, you're driving at this hour too." Apparently only people who can afford cars should be allowed to go places after dark... It was a pretty nice ride overall though. It's around 50F (~9C), so I can bring a camp stove and have some tea up on the levee.

That's bizarre - some people are just power hungry for no reason I guess. I used to go on midnight / early morning bike rides all the time to the beach and sit there for a while before returning home, never had an issue! Only time I was stopped was the police asking if I was all right, but that was in a friendly way.

(I usually keep some taped to the handlebar since I sometimes get guys creeping on me) and started freaking out. The guy starts interrogating me about what I'm doing, where I'm going, where I live, etc.

Just describe him to us Foothead and we will go and beat him up for ya.

I will... be cheering for the guys doing it from a distance of course :D

I know you probably have your preparations for similar cases, but it only takes one of those incidents to ruin lives, God forbid. Be careful out there.

I remember when I first joined all the old timers were still posting and around but now hardly anyone.

That's bizarre - some people are just power hungry for no reason I guess. I used to go on midnight / early morning bike rides all the time to the beach and sit there for a while before returning home, never had an issue! Only time I was stopped was the police asking if I was all right, but that was in a friendly way.

I'm kind of in redneck territory here. People are extremely biased against any mode of transportation that gets better than 15 MPG. I've been intentionally pushed into the ditch several times now, was almost pushed off the top of an overpass once, and I frequently get honked at. Cops like to stop me and ask questions too. I actually got the idea that the guy I mentioned above might have been a cop, since he asked the exact same things in the same extremely condescending fashion. He never did ask for ID though. For some reason, cops always do that, even if you're not doing anything that legally requires any sort of ID.

It's not like I'm being a nuisance, either. I tend to go very fast (20-25 MPH), follow traffic laws, have bright flashers and reflectors, and will pull over to let cars pass if I need to.

Just describe him to us Foothead and we will go and beat him up for ya.

I will... be cheering for the guys doing it from a distance of course :D

I know you probably have your preparations for similar cases, but it only takes one of those incidents to ruin lives, God forbid. Be careful out there.

Ha. This was definitely not the worst incident I've had. Just some jerk with a superiority complex. I've had a couple that really scared the crap out of me though. A while back, I had some guy who was clearly on drugs jump right in front of me, forcing me to stop. He flat out asked for sex, then kept trying to prevent me from leaving. This is the one that prompted me to start taking pepper spray on every bike ride.

There was also one time where I was going through a really bad area. I mean REALLY bad. I definitely heard gunshots at one point. I looked it up later and found out there was a shooting a few blocks from where I was. Anyway, some station wagon with huge ghetto rims and very dark tinted windows tailed me for at least 5-6 miles. He'd get right up next to me (4 lane road) and match my speed for a several minutes at a time, before turning off into a neighborhood. Then a minute later, the same car is there again. It happened four or five times before they finally stopped. It should be noted that I was on a bike tour at the time, so my top speed was probably 15 MPH at best. There was absolutely no reason for a car to be going that slow. It scared me so much, I had my phone in my hand with 911 already dialed out so I'd just have to hit one button to connect if something happened. I also got called a bitch by random people at least five times on that road. Never again. Google maps should seriously route around the ghetto if you get biking directions.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom