Opinions Wanted Before Purchasing

Gilles

In Runtime
Hey guys, building my Dad a new computer since his is ~10 years old. I've not kept up with hardware at all since upgrading my PC, so I wanted some opinions on my build before I go for it. He just needs it for general use (email, documents, photos etc).

Here's what I've got. Total = $237.94
Mobo: MSI FM2-A75MA
Processor: AMD Duel Core @3.4
RAM: Using a stick of 4g DDR3 kingston I have lying around.
PSU: Corsair CX430 or Antec Basiq BP350
HDD: 500GB Barracuda
CD: The cheapest one
Case: Using his old case. Can't remember what it is, but it's an atx.
Video: On board.

I am looking at both PSU. I would love to get the CX430, but it's not in stock and my Dad wants this asap. The Antec has good reviews at the 450+ models, so I assumed the 350 would be reliable as well. Power shouldn't be an issue since I'm using on board graphics.

Thanks guys. Hoping to order today.

Note: I don't use Mail In Rebates.

Also, NCIX is preferred since shipping is so cheap because I live near it. I can potentially go pick up the parts too.

Hi there.

Successfully started the thread I see.

Things seems to be good here. I have some note:

1- Make sure the motherboard supports that RAM. I heard AMD mobos don't like Kingston RAM.

2- To minimize costs, you can get any generic PSU with good specs. I got myself 500watt one for 13USD locally and it works well. Plus, you can completely drop the optical drive (e.g. CD) and just install the OS and drivers with any other drive connected temporarily then remove it. After that anything else can be added with flash sticks or downloaded.

Just my humble suggestions.

I wound up paying an extra $10 for an intel duel core, and therefore got a different board anyways. Thanks for the heads up though! Come to think of it though, I used that exact RAM in my main AMD rig, so it hopefully wouldn't have been a problem.

With the PSU I just prefer to spend the little extra and get a really reliable and efficient model. At $44 it's still a great price. You aren't the first person to recommend getting a cheap one though, so maybe next budget rig I will.

My Dad won't be switching out drives, so I'd have to do it, and I know he uses CDs once in a while. Besides, they're dirt cheap.

Thanks for the suggestions though!

and sorry smart guy but dont just get any generic psu, its the worst place you can cheap out on as it can/will damage other parts when it fails. Had it happen to me.

Thanks for the heads up Ja6on. I'll keep that on mind.

Will a power cable with built-in fuse box prevent this?

Sorry, OP, for the highjack.

nope, mine was plugged into and extension lead with built in fuse and the house electrics have fuses and trip switches.

Cheap PSU? Really?

The cheapest I would go is Novatech and even that was £40, though it has done me very well.

I don't however touch any PSU that hasn't got 80plus on it. I have seen a few people get stitched up with cheap PSU.

Mossiac

As noted above never go cheap on a PSU as it is the heart of the system and only get those that have protection from overcurrent and power outage.

It is good that you're going for an i3 CPU, they work very well. Heck I was impressed with my G540 Celeron that I upgraded to an i3-2105 so I can have HTT and that worked very well.

Try to get a Corsair PSU or at least any PSU made by CWT though I prefer Seasonic made PSUs. This is where I find out who makes what.

PSU Review Database

and sorry smart guy but dont just get any generic psu, its the worst place you can cheap out on as it can/will damage other parts when it fails. Had it happen to me.

As noted above never go cheap on a PSU as it is the heart of the system and only get those that have protection from overcurrent and power outage.

Of course you are entitled to your opinion but please stop scaremongering people.

A £100 PSU also has the ability to fail and damage other parts when it fails.

I think it is honestly complete BS to claim that generic PSUs are useless, I have been building computers for 10 years and have never paid more than £25 for a PSU in fact most times I've paid around £30 and got a PSU and case. Not once have I had a PSU fail on me and not once have I had any components damaged by a PSU.

I've had generic "non-branded" PSUs running a normal PC setup, and a car stereo, I've had them running a normal PC setup and a set of 4 12v under car neon lights.

I'm not saying that the more expensive ones are not better quality I think they are but what I am saying is for a cheap budget build computer then there is no harm in using a cheap budget PSU.

Back
Top Bottom