Need a question answered :)

Quantum41

Solid State Member
So I love computers and I have a lot to learn still. I have my computer with a GTX 660 Ti and I was wondering, is it better (when i want to have dual monitors) to have a single 690 running both or dual 660 ti's?

Id go the dual route. Maybe more costly as far as wattage, but the combined processing is prob. More than a 690

The 690 is actually a dual core GTX 680 GPU video card.

In other words, two GTX 680's (almost). Therefore, in performance it's waaaay much better than two 660 Ti's.

The problem, as YoungIT implied, is the power requirement, and there is also the price. The 690 is expensive and a possible need to upgrade the PSU adds extra possible costs.

690 needs at least 650-700watt PSU and 300watt exclusive for the GPU cable.

The 690 is actually a dual core GTX 680 GPU video card.

In other words, two GTX 680's (almost). Therefore, in performance it's waaaay much better than two 660 Ti's.

The problem, as YoungIT implied, is the power requirement, and there is also the price. The 690 is expensive and a possible need to upgrade the PSU adds extra possible costs.

690 needs at least 650-700watt PSU and 300watt exclusive for the GPU cable.

What I'm questioning is, what the heck are you gonna do with a 690?!

In short; good point. In long; it depends on some limited cases.

I have a 680 and Crysis 3 on highest settings and 1080p resolution is barely playable. In case it's other than Crysis 3, many other modern games don't play well on nVidia Surround at 5760x1080 with me.

The latter may not apply to the OP.

Dual 660 Ti's will give a little above 680. More than enough with FPS games at medium settings on a single monitor.

The 660ti should have no problems running dual display. When gaming it'll show on the primary display.

I know my 650ti doesn't so the 660ti shouldn't either. Save your money and buy a game to dink around with.

So the OP is only asking of just supporting two monitors? My bad, I thought it was a general question while having two monitors.

Depending on available ports and card manufacturers, single 6xx cards can run up to four monitors simultaneously and single 5xx cards and older (not older all the way of course) can run up to two monitors only, by GPU design, except for some value variants.

I run four monitors on my 680 and so can 660 Ti. That's the "support" point of view only. When it comes to frame rate in games and power requirements, that's completely another long story.

Back
Top Bottom