So any win7 users switch to win 8.1?

i haven't left windows 7 yet O_O, and before that i was stuck on windows xp for quite a while. didn't even give windows vista a complete go. :p

The refreshed Explore UI and quicker startup is so far the only things that i find worth over win7.

Whoah whoah whoah! You are forgetting the best thing Microsoft ever did in any Windows distro... the Task Manager in 8+ is to die for! That's probably the main reason I made the switch in the first place.

i think that's included in the "UI Tweaks" statement :) But you are right. It's great.
also the transfer dialogue box is fantastic as well. When you transfer files and click "see details", You will see a nice graph. And if you have multiple transferring going on at the same time, they will all be displayed in the same dialogue box.

i think that's included in the "UI Tweaks" statement :) But you are right. It's great.
also the transfer dialogue box is fantastic as well. When you transfer files and click "see details", You will see a nice graph. And if you have multiple transferring going on at the same time, they will all be displayed in the same dialogue box.

I'm still trying to figure out what said graph represents... haha :lol:

First of i'll have to say that i am disappointed with the installation.
I was forced to login to a microsoft accont that i didn't have. So i had to create a hotmail. ...
You actually don't need to use a MS account, although it isn't obvious how to get around it. If you enter a bogus id/pw then it won't be able to connect and will ask you if you want to use a local account. None of my VMs and neither of my physical machines use my MS account to log in.

I do need to enter my MS account info if I want to download something from the store.

You actually don't need to use a MS account, although it isn't obvious how to get around it. If you enter a bogus id/pw then it won't be able to connect and will ask you if you want to use a local account. None of my VMs and neither of my physical machines use my MS account to log in.

I do need to enter my MS account info if I want to download something from the store.

So you can use local account, then why not make it more obvious. What's wrong with you Microsoft :facepalm:

Now that just made me hate the store even more :lol:

Well... there are some perceived advantages of linking a MS account.

For me, I choose to sync a lot of my desktop and computer settings. This way, if I make a change on my desktop, I can walk over to my laptop and that change has already been applied. Also, I have an Office 365 subscription linked to my MS account and a SkyDrive account. This is awesome because I can be typing a school paper on my desktop, save it and go grab the laptop in front of the TV and continue that same paper with very little effort. My recent docs are synced between the two as well.

If you choose the Microsoft Account route, make sure you set additional security options through your account settings on live.com (e.g. Text Notifications and Security codes). This will prevent your password from being changed without your consent. And don't say it can't happen to you, because my password (ridiculously long) was hacked and I ended up with thousands of Xbox Live 'points' and fraudulent credit card charges that took months to reverse.

I can see it makes sense. And it have benefits. Personally i don't use MS sync and sky drive.
I use google drive. So for that reason i don't want anything to do with any MS account. They should not force it on me.

i agree, quite lame on microsoft's part that they're pushing that on people. that should be the 2nd option rather than the first. but it's just one of those changes a big corporation would make and annoy their consumers with it.

the features mentioned above do sound quite intriguing though. o_O

Back
Top Bottom