So any win7 users switch to win 8.1?

I am currently using Windows 7 on my desktop and I am happy about that. Windows 8 is not really doing the job for me. The boot-time is great but when it comes to using the OS it gets clumsy. To me it looks like a mash up of two systems which would work great separately as two individual operating systems but as one combined OS it gets clumsy and irritating to use in my opinion. The touch would be great for tablets and the desktop great for regular PCs.

I am sticking to Windows 7 for the time being.

I agree. it looks like a mash up of 2 UI's.
When i Up/Downgrade the OS, i'll completely ignore anything Metro related.
I really don't like metro

I would consider upgrading to a version of windows 8 without the metro-part. But as long as it stays, I will be keeping my windows 7.

I know. But that would be the only reason why I would make the upgrade I think. My latest experience with Windows 8 was not too good.

I have multiple machines running Win 7 and multiple machines running Win 8.1. I am comfortable with either OS. I haven't "switched" from Win 7 to Win 8, I will continue to use whatever OS is currently on each machine.

The only machine I "switched" was a 5 year old Acer Aspire One netbook that was running XP. I decided to upgrade it from XP to Win 8 (then from Win 8 to 8.1). It runs Win 8.1 better than it ever ran XP.

When 8.1 was first released I wasn't in a great hurry to do the upgrade since I had no burning issues with 8 but I went ahead and upgraded both of my Win 8 machines and am happy I did.

I have just installed it on my work PC.
I'll let you know how i feel about it after some time use.

First of i'll have to say that i am disappointed with the installation.
I was forced to login to a microsoft accont that i didn't have. So i had to create a hotmail.
That sucks big time. I tried to make an accont with a disent user name, but after the 5'th time i typed in an allready used name i just made my account name "vbl4y6bubien4vfl5758anc@hotmail.com"

I have just installed it on my work PC.
I'll let you know how i feel about it after some time use.

First of i'll have to say that i am disappointed with the installation.
I was forced to login to a microsoft accont that i didn't have. So i had to create a hotmail.
That sucks big time. I tried to make an accont with a disent user name, but after the 5'th time i typed in an allready used name i just made my account name "vbl4y6bubien4vfl5758anc@hotmail.com"

Yeah that's the part I didn't really like, The fact that you are forced to make a Microsoft account when you may not have one and may not want to create one. I haven't tried 8,1, I've only used the preview and the enterprise versions at my course for assessment tasks. I will have to buy a copy or if I can get a copy through Dreamspark..

A qucik update after 2 hour use

The Store:
Ohhh god i hate the windows Store application.
I was looking forward to getting a store like i have had on Ubuntu, but this is just terrible.
It's a scaled mobile version of the store. Very disappointed.

Login:
It's odd that you don't get to chose if you want the PC to login automatically.
And it's not obvious how to make it automatically login. A common user will have difficulties doing it.
So this is yet another flaw.

Start menu and UI's:
I can't live without a start menu. I downloaded "start menu 8". Works perfectly but it's still uncalled for that i need to do this.
Still can't get over the fact that they removed it. I think they are on drugs or something.

I care less for the Metro UI then i though. I don't use it at all and properly never will. It feels SO MUCH like a simple mobile UI upscale
I do find Explore UI to be better then in win7. It has some welcome tweaks that makes it more fresh to use.

Quick Conclusion:
The refreshed Explore UI and quicker startup is so far the only things that i find worth over win7.
Pull your head out of your *** Microsoft.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom