Microsoft No Longer Recommends MSE

I disagree a little bit with that statement. Because there are some people who pay for everything they can, but when it comes to a program that you really need, but don't have the $699-$1999 because adobe is being the usual thieves and making it impossible for young people to get anywhere in the world... It's not right to pirate things, but it's also not right for these company's to charge prices that nobody can afford. I think if they want you to buy it, not pirate it, then charge a reasonable price, and not charging insane prices because they think they have a monopoly.. No sympathy for the big name thieves...

It's called fair market value. When coders put a lot of hours in creating programs they expect to get paid for their time. Good coders make good bucks. So the company has to recover their expenses through the pricing of the product. A company I worked for in the past paid 1700 dollars for one piece of software. Took a bit to learn it but in the end was worth every penny.
So if you can't afford something doesn't give you the right to steal it. Like generic medicine, there are alternatives to brand name software.

I disagree a little bit with that statement. Because there are some people who pay for everything they can, but when it comes to a program that you really need, but don't have the $699-$1999 because adobe is being the usual thieves and making it impossible for young people to get anywhere in the world... It's not right to pirate things, but it's also not right for these company's to charge prices that nobody can afford. I think if they want you to buy it, not pirate it, then charge a reasonable price, and not charging insane prices because they think they have a monopoly.. No sympathy for the big name thieves...

So if you can't afford something doesn't give you the right to steal it. Like generic medicine, there are alternatives to brand name software.

While this is getting off topic and I'm not helping get it back on I couldn't let these two quotes go. I'm going to put this as close to allowable by the rules as I can here... I was always in the same boat as Life - though I've been out of the "business" now for a long time. I think Seti hit the nail on the head. I can't afford to drive around in a Ferrari so I don't go to ThePirateCarDealership (;)) and take a Ferrari from them. Instead I drive around in a much cheaper Pontiac. While it may not have all the bells and whistles of a Ferrari, it still gets the job done. I think we can through as many anologies at this as we want but the picture has been made pretty clear. Not being able to afford something doesn't give you the right to steal it. You just have to find an alternative that works for what you need.

It's called fair market value. When coders put a lot of hours in creating programs they expect to get paid for their time. Good coders make good bucks. So the company has to recover their expenses through the pricing of the product. A company I worked for in the past paid 1700 dollars for one piece of software. Took a bit to learn it but in the end was worth every penny.

While this is getting off topic and I'm not helping get it back on I couldn't let these two quotes go. I'm going to put this as close to allowable by the rules as I can here... I was always in the same boat as Life - though I've been out of the "business" now for a long time. I think Seti hit the nail on the head. I can't afford to drive around in a Ferrari so I don't go to ThePirateCarDealership (;)) and take a Ferrari from them. Instead I drive around in a much cheaper Pontiac. While it may not have all the bells and whistles of a Ferrari, it still gets the job done. I think we can through as many anologies at this as we want but the picture has been made pretty clear. Not being able to afford something doesn't give you the right to steal it. You just have to find an alternative that works for what you need.
I never did think about it in that regard... I retract my statement from before.

Getting back to MSE, if I were regularly getting infected due to it not catching things then I would look for something that is rated higher but since it seems to do the job, I'll keep using it.

I could see where people that frequent dodgy sites would need more protection.

I could see where people that frequent dodgy sites would need more protection.

Not always the case there young un. Open wrong emails, drive by malware drops, infected forums, and a whole lots more. You don't have to visit "dodgy sites" as you so quaintly put it, to get bad things in your computer. Hell some one can get in just by dropping in through that open port you didn't close when you got through playing some silly assed game online.
It frightenly simple actually. People need good protection from the everyday things.

Not always the case there young un. Open wrong emails, drive by malware drops, infected forums, and a whole lots more. You don't have to visit "dodgy sites" as you so quaintly put it, to get bad things in your computer. Hell some one can get in just by dropping in through that open port you didn't close when you got through playing some silly assed game online.
It frightenly simple actually. People need good protection from the everyday things.
Yes you are quite correct but visiting dodgy sites will increase your chances immensely, how do you think they get your info to do this.

Yes you are quite correct but visiting dodgy sites will increase your chances immensely, how do you think they get your info to do this.

I can do it by sitting in a coffee shop and running a port-scan on any connected laptop and install a program that does the same to the victim's own network when they get home. The same can happen to the people with unsecured WIFI from people driving by (we call it war driving in my area).

Don't get me wrong, I see your point and agree that dodgy sites increase your risk, but I'm just making the point even people who have perfect browsing habits can get hit by happenstance if the attacker is in their area or they are on the same network as someone who got hit.

Since the rest of that had already been brought out in earlier posts (mine included), I felt is was sufficient to just use the term "dodgy sites" instead of going into all the other ways you could get infected using unsafe practices.

BTW, thanks for referring to me as a "young un", I haven't been called that for 30-40 years!

Back
Top Bottom