banning a traditional event??

Rly? ops lol. I thought you were saying everyone learns at some point, so why start the lie to begin with.

I think he said that kids are more excited to get presents from people who are not their parents, so why not give them some magic and mystery whilst they are still young enough to believe it.

enriching a child's imagination will enrich their life.

I think he said that kids are more excited to get presents from people who are not their parents, so why not give them some magic and mystery whilst they are still young enough to believe it.

This. There will come a point (that most of us are at) where all the "magic" of life will be gone and we'll only be left with the cold, hard world. As a parent of a 3 year old and a 6 month old I DO NOT want my child to be exposed to it any sooner than he needs to be. The magic of childhood is wonderful. He even believes I have magic :lol:. There is nothing wrong with children using their imagination and believing in magic.

I really feel like Walt Disney or Dr. Suess after writing that...:rofl:

I guess the problem is teaching kids that it's OK to dress as a black and white minstrel.

effigies can be both traditional and wrong.

the trouble with black peter is really the question:

in this day and age is it OK to black up?

I meant that as the child grows up, they're realize and learn about the world for themselves, so nothing wrong with a whitelie from a young age.

I've already explained it on page 1=] .

Last edited:
Wow, 8 posts deleted. Let's drop it and keep on subject. You know who I'm talking to.

the trouble with black peter is really the question:

in this day and age is it OK to black up?

Why can't it be? The better question is, is there anything truly wrong with someone pretending they are of a different color? When I was in 5th grade, I played Martin Luther King Jr. in a school play, shoe polish and all. Nobody cried then... and you would think that, of all representations, that would be the holy grail of a case of racism.

I think the question that should be asked in these situations is that of context. If a black man were to paint himself white, should anyone cry racism? Well, that largely depends on context.
If a white man were to paint himself black, the same question should be asked.

Although, I think the problem is in these words here:

in this day and age

We live in a 'try our hardest to not offend ANYONE' age. Which, when people are easily offended, is impossible. [Themselves Racist] People will always find something to complain about.

Last edited:
I didn't say it wasn't ok to black up.

I said in this day in age is it ok...

I think the point is that 50 years ago nobody would have even asked the question. The fact that now you do have to ask the question suggests that there might be something wrong with it.

Regards deleted posts, items disappear for a variety of reasons, in this instance it should be obvious,

As I said in the chat room thread, those that attempt to continue arguments after they have been removed quickly find that their welcome has been exhausted.

The words "drop it" in this case are more than a suggestion to all who are both concerned and not concerned.

I didn't say it wasn't ok to black up.

I said in this day in age is it ok...

I saw where you were going with it ;)

I think the point is that 50 years ago nobody would have even asked the question. The fact that now you do have to ask the question suggests that there might be something wrong with it.

And that's exactly what I don't understand about any of this. You would think the reverse was true...

It does seem a little more like it should be the other way around, and if you take the single example out of context then I agree with you totally. But combined with white only culture discrimination unequal opportunities, etc then it seems obvious that this form of entertainment is no longer "socially acceptable".

Funny how society becomes liberal about some things but not others.

I dont think that traditional events should be banned because if as a migrant you decide to settle in a country you should be willing to accept that countries practices and traditions weather that be religious in the sense that a Muslim settling in a christian country should accept that the indigenous population celebrate Christmas and easter , or a christian going to live in a Muslim country accepting that they couldnt drink any more

If I went to live in the middle east I would take account of adjustments I would have to make before deciding to move there such as not drinking any more or not having sex outside of marriage . I would feel ignorant moving to live in a different country and then expecting to just fly in the face of that countries practices traditions and laws .

It does seem a little more like it should be the other way around, and if you take the single example out of context then I agree with you totally. But combined with white only culture discrimination unequal opportunities, etc then it seems obvious that this form of entertainment is no longer "socially acceptable".

Funny how society becomes liberal about some things but not others.
I dont particularly think that there is anything wrong with blacking up in context , I mean If I was to black up and get on stage and do a stereotypically racist impression of a black man then that is racist but not because of me being blacked up its because of what im implying with my impression
However If I was to black up in order to do an amazing job of playing nelson Mandela in a play I wouldn't think that was racist that was just representing the fact that this man was black .

Just like If A crime has been committed and I haven't seen the ethnicity of the man committing it but I say to the police "well he must have been black " that's racist but if I have seen the perpetrator and they are black so I say to the police " I saw a black man doing this " that isn't racist its just a fact that will help the police identify the perpetrator ,

Kids at a really young age dont care if other kids are white black or asian its only influences from their parents which shape their attitudes towards other races ,

Just reminds me of the whole Golliwog thing at first it was just a illustration for a children's book . then it was hijacked and turned into a racially loaded term to identify black people

There are some cartoons branded "banned" for presenting different races and ethnicities (if this word works in plural form) like Asians, Arabs and native Africans.

Dunno the truth or the practice of this ban, but it is all over the internet.

But seriously... even our TV here in Saudi Arabia, an Arab country, showed some of those cartoon presenting Arabs on it. We, the viewers, didn't take it as an offense. Maybe because our English is bad ha ha.

Youtube is full of it. It just sets there branded with "banned". So much for banning, eh?

You guys know Metal Slug 2 (or X) the video game? The first episode is interesting.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom