Chat room

Status
Not open for further replies.
sadly, this forum is not run for Love,

it's owned by a business, a guy, (or group I'm not really sure) bought the forum, and paid cash for it,

whilst you or I can ignore spam, search engines generally don't, they index everything and heavy back links and spam etc can affect search engine ratings.
that means less people coming here, and less people looking at the adverts (which you see when you're not signed in)...

after that an unmoderated forum generally attracts the wrong type of people.
and when there are people posting spam that gets ignored, (because we are mature enough to ignore it), then the next thing is swearing, (because we're mature enough to ignore it, then sexism and racism because we're mature enough to ignore it...

but then one day you sit up and find that whilst reading 4chan is often funny, it's not a "nice" place.

these forums can (at times) be over moderated, and that has left to people leaving in the past, but overall I think that the forum has managed to retain some pretty good "core values" and stayed a friendly place, (if a little quiet at times)...

I think that even if you work with the argument that we should just ignore spam,
it'll be impossible to get past the admin bought the forum because it's a nice place arguments and the "we want this place to stay a nice place"...

the other thing I wonder is... (and I don't mean any offence), but why do you believe having only joined up yesterday that there is a big problem that actually needs fixing?

I'm not saying you're new and you have no say. I'm saying how have you reached the conclusion so fast that this place is broken, and an unmoderated chat or shout box is going to fix that?

Why do you believe having only joined up yesterday that there is a big problem that actually needs fixing?
Right, hmmm well, I never said I think there's a big problem that needs fixing. All I am doing is making a friendly suggestion about having a chatbox, as it would be a friendly way to interact with each other =]

But regarding what you said about detracting the atmosphere, it's up to the individual whether they hang around in the chat room isn't it ? if they don't like it, just come hang around on the forums ?

I'm not saying this forum has a problem, but it's about forums in general; they could have a chat room or something.

---------- Post added at 05:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:47 PM ----------

sadly, this forum isn't run for love

Well, that just sounds wrong, hmmm? :angel:
LOL

[/COLOR]

Well, that just sounds wrong, hmmm? :angel:
LOL
it does sound wrong. but it kind of is what it is.

the guy who owns this place owns a load of other forums, I think it's his business, asking to change the format is asking him to play with his money...

That said, maybe this place could stand to be a little friendlier.

if you look in the social lounge section you'll see a thread called Random chit chat, that's a non-specific thread that's used for little things discussing micro topics that really don't require a thread of their own. etc, (so the sort of stuff that you'd write in this box anyway).

yea but it's easier to post in a chat room than in a thread... people are likely to speak more obviously and be more informal...

More thoughts about chat....

The software is generally not even a little secure and can expose the board to exploits.

Chat rooms can be hard to manage but the bigger issue is that the discussions aren't archived or searchable and this is the inherent value of a forum. One person can learn from another and often a member with a problem can search to find a solution.

Chat platforms are a problem for mobile users (java)

Nah, up to janet =]

Well by the sounds of Janet's post she said no, It doesn't have the support of everyone anyway as it will be a big task to moderate and maintain and we already have a place that is a like chat room anyway which is the social lounge but all sorts of stuff is talked about.

Last edited:
^ To be honest i feel kinda restrained from talking in the social Lounge, as this is a computer forum.

on other tech forums I have been critisised for posting in the off topic thread tooo much, with people saying I'm not there for the purpose. I'm just not as experienced at tech as you guys. that's why I don't say much. Not that i'm not interested though.

But if there was a chat room, there's no place for that kinda criticism.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom