How Did You Become Interested In Computers & Tech?

BK_123

Golden Master
So I am sure this question has been asked oodles over times before but how did you become interested in the world of computers and technology.

For me well when I was younger I always loved being on or around computers and tech stuff and have always enjoyed taking things apart.

I got to college, started to become a teacher, decided I didn't want to teach and panicked. My advisor suggested an IT major, Computer Networking specifically and since I was in a panic I just said yes. I had never opened a computer before or really done anything with them. Everything I know now, I've learned while in college or while working. Turns out that most of what I learned in college I didn't really need or don't really use. And most of it is readily available online. But I needed the degree to get a job in the industry so it worked out.

Oh how I love this question, my love for computers came from breaking them as a kid and constantly getting introuble with my parents. As a kid for some reason I had the worst luck with computers, not sure what I did but I would always end up giving the computer a boot error(BSOD).

Constantly getting these problems pushed me to want to fix it before they found out so that kind of started my interested and the more I broke them and fixed them the more I loved doing it.

I started at a production school after 9th grade. (it's not a real school. it's more a place for young people to get to try something different and think about what they want to do with their lives)
i chose the IT line because then i could also use the computer for other things when i was bored... like youtube.
I started to learn about Photoshop and later on some video editing in Avid Liquid. I began to get interested in all this editing.
After some weeks i started to get a hang on it and the school gave my some real editing work they earn money on. (on easy level ofcause. nothing professional) But the school didn't have enough real work in that area i could do. So i started to get bored. Then one of the teachers told me that i should try to build my own PC. I was like: "No way, that's a too big of a task to start doing". But i did at anyway with some old spare parts.
little did i know that That's what started a real interest and a future. :)
Thank you Frank.

Last edited:
As a kid, I was always curious about how things worked. However, I had no exposure to computers, I had only heard about them or seen them in the movies where they were housed in big rooms where guys with white coats worked on them and there were lots of blinking lights and spinning tape reels.

I learned electronics in the army (radios, still no computers) and went to work in the tech industry as a tech after that. I wound up working at IBM in their disk drive business but had no idea what a disk drive was really useful for, they were attached to mainframe computers and the disks spun around and the actuator arm moved back and forth.

At the age of 30, I was promoted into a management position at IBM and had a PC with 128K of RAM and 2 floppy drives on my desk that I didn't know how to use and didn't know what it was good for. I started playing with spreadsheets using Lotus 123 and soon became somewhat of a whiz at that, including writing macros. That piqued my interest so I took a C programming class at the local jr college. A year later I resigned my management position and was accepted into a rigorous programmer training course where we were force fed assembly language programming 8 hours/day for 6 months. 27 of us started the course but only 9 of us graduated. After graduation, I was given a job as a mainframe programmer and have worked as a programmer/software engineer for the past 27 years.

Last edited:
I suppose what got me into computers and knowing what I was doing with them was playing games and trying stuff out, reading pc format magazine also...

Professionally I started out more helping in an office and the boss there decided I was bright enough to be taught more...

I still carried on studying electronics at university. But never really got a job in that field. Instead sort of muddled through with it...

Now I work in an infrastructure team mostly supporting business application on windows servers, but occasionally get involved with networking etc (in the past few days it's been confirmed that I'm going to be gearing much more towards a network consultant role in my job now).

I think I stay keen at what I do by always trying to learn more!

I think I stay keen at what I do by always trying to learn more!

If you want to work in this field or be involved in it at all then this has to be your motto. 5 years ago tablets didn't exist, now they are a part of everyday life. Who knows what will happen in the next 5 years.

Long long ago my mom brought home a TI 99/4A computer with a couple of game cartridges. We played the heck out of it but what interested me was the basic programming ability. I went to the public libraries scouring books on basic. I learned enough to write some programs and soon I was writing games with sounds and graphics.

I started to run out of memory as it only has 16K memory so I went got a Commodore 64 with 64K memory and fantastic sound/graphics. I wrote many video games and when I got the programmer's reference book on C64 my games got better. In fact I sold one to Compute! magazine.

I was a diehard C64er that one day a friend brought me a 286 with monochrome monitor and a floppy drive. I looked at my friend and said what am I going to do with this? Look, no sound and an amber text monitor ?? He told me that Ataris, Commodores and whatever are going out and IBM is in. I never touched that damn thing til my C64 died for good.

The rest is history.

Well I am about to finish my Certificate III In Information, Digital Media And Technology and it's a mixture so I have to do support, networking, programming and web but I am only interested in support and networking. If I choose to continue and start my Certificate 4 I'll have to take all those again but at a higher level. I don't want to have to do something I don't like. I am wanting to go into help desk area. I could do the Certificate 4 but not have to complete the units I don't like.

I've always had interest in Electronics.....2 way radios, alarms etc....

When I had my first computer many many moons ago I was ripped off in pricing for adding an accessory to it.
With my electrical trade background I thought this cannot to be hard to learn & understand computers so a new hobby started for me.

Since then I have upgraded & built PC's saving many big $$$$$

These days I have lost the bling for computers but dabble once in while.

Back
Top Bottom