PC for programming

Christoffer

Baseband Member
So I'm starting out with programming and was thinking. Is there any special requirements for a computer to do programming? I've heard that compiling can take a while if your computer isn't that great. Any advice?

Most $500-800 computers will do just fine for compiling. It can get a little resource intensive if you're also running database systems on the same computer.

What you'll want to focus on is getting fast RAM and a fast hard drive. I honestly notice no difference between compiling on an i5 and an i7 when doing large projects (talking 4-minute compiles here for business software) so you shouldn't need anything stronger than the i5 for now.

Yeah you shouldn't need anything too special.

I've edited and compiled my program at work on an old Pentium d machine with 2Gb DDR2, the program is a .net couple hundred thousand lines or code (if not more) with 12 projects included and it does it in literally no time. However running a DB on the same machine was a push.

So yeah basically anything nowa days with 4Gb or more RAM and an i5 processor will be fine, an SSD will be a nice boost in performance tho!

I was thinking about buying the new Macbook Pro when it gets launched. By the looks of it, it will have a i5 processor, SSD harddisk and 8GB 1600MHz DDR3. That will be good enough for programming then, right?

Yep, if there is such thing it will be overkill for programming, but if you have the cash then go for it.

You'd be better off going the windows route rather than mac as laptops running windows can be a lot cheaper than Apple's laptops.

Without sounding cocky I will like to say that the money is not the issue. I am only concerned about the specs. I have used windows for the most part of my computer-experience so a change in OS is much welcome.

Thanks for the answers!

I would run Windows in Virtual Machine, or dual boot Windows if you get a Mac. My main machine is a MBP, and that is what I do. It works out great because I do 95% of my work on mountain lion, and launch my vm for the other 5%, to where I can load either Windows or Linux.

You'd be better off going the windows route rather than mac as laptops running windows can be a lot cheaper than Apple's laptops.

Not always true for developing though. Assuming it's still true, he needs an apple if he wants to program for IOS devices.

Back
Top Bottom