So any win7 users switch to win 8.1?

BikerEcho

Fully Optimized
Is there any of you guys that are still using win 7 (like me) that's gonna give win 8 another change now that the first service pack is out?

I for one, am gonna try it out again. I'll be installing it on my work laptop when i have the time to do so.

I'm hoping to give it a go really don't want to shell out money for another os since I got a working one right now, though I like to be up to date but who doesn't right?

-a little of topic this windows 8 does it need a antivirus? got a complaint by one of my relatives that the upgrade compatibility test was saying the avast anti virus would not be compatible.

An Anti-Virus software are always a good idea on a windows OS.
The compatibility test might have said that it would not be compatible, but i know for a fact that it is.
I have installed it on a students laptop running Win 8.

Win 8/8.1 does have Windows Defender built-in but you can install a 3rd party AV which will automatically disable Defender.

I have been running Win 8.1 in a VM since the preview was released and currently have the RTM version running in a VM but have yet to upgrade either of my 2 physical machines from Win 8 to 8.1. They both are working perfectly fine with Win 8 so I'm in no hurry to upgrade them.

Last edited:
I have 8.1 on my work laptop, and wish I didn't upgrade from 8. My VPN clients keep freaking out saying they need to reinstall to work properly, and even after reinstalling with no issues they still think it hasn't happened...

8.1 (Sadly) introduced a lot of issues for me. I upgraded both home and work PC's to 8.1. I haven't tested my home PC's for compatibility yet. My work PC though... sheesh. Visual Studio 2012 seems to consume just a little bit more time when performing any operation. My SQL Server Management Studio is just about worthless at this point. I cannot register with any of my servers and cannot get status on any SQL server agents. I have to RDP into servers to run certain queries now or perform db maintenance.

Of course there would have been some unforeseen issues, but this is disappointing.

Interestingly... AFTER you install 8.1, there is a notification about downgrading. If you no longer want Windows 8.1, you cannot go back to 8. The downgrade path is to 7. Period.

I'm the kinda person that do not upgrade at all unless something comes up or the newer upgrade gets dependable support.

I rarely upgrade just for fun or selfish reasons or even to join the evolution.

I'll never upgrade from Win7 until I face breaking problems with it. May be like a newer unsupported version of DirectX, same as what happened with XP vs Vista/7. Even that won't happen unless Win8/8.1 get appropriate support.

I believe this is the case with all Windows OS's. Let them come out, take their time for a year or so, then think of upgrading.

My mum brought a new Acer touch screen desktop with Windows 8. She doesn't mind it but still getting used to it, My stepdad isn't very good with computers so he goes blistic when something won't work and when someone try's to help. They keep complaining that the internet is playing up and I've been able to fix it but it keeps dropping out and think it's my fault.

Well I plan to buy it and put it on my laptop. I was going to try out 8.1 preview but didn't and have had to run Windows 8 in VMWare for an assignment.

I have Windows 8.1 with Avast and Malware Bites + VPN on avast so I would say I am okay for the time being.. No problems what so ever....

I don't like to upgrade software unnecessarily. I have Windows 7 and am happy enough with that.

Mossiac

Back
Top Bottom