Black screen after installing core 2 duo

DogSong

Daemon Poster
Hey guys, I just got the Core 2 Duo E8400 in the mail today and installed it on my Gateway GT5404 (which it is compatible with) and on startup, it gave me a black screen. I just put the old CPU back in and installed Intel Processor ID, anything else I'll need to be able to use the other CPU? Why is it giving me a black screen and how can I get it to boot? Thanks!

It's not always only the Socket and chipset that need to support the CPU, but also the BIOS. My old Dell Demention 5000 (came with a P4) had support for a Pentium dual core, but i had to update the BIOS in order to make the system post with that CPU.

It's not always only the Socket and chipset that need to support the CPU, but also the BIOS. My old Dell Demention 5000 (came with a P4) had support for a Pentium dual core, but i had to update the BIOS in order to make the system post with that CPU.

I looked for a bios update for the core 2 duo, and couldn't find one. I updated the bios on the mobo to its latest update

Not much I can do if you are sure everything is compatible.
I downloaded the latest BIOS for your motherboard to reed the "reed me" file.
Under "reason to update" is the following statement:

This update corrects possible black screen issues. Also, bad hard disk error messages are corrected with the updated BIOS.

The BIOS version, description and date is as following:

File Description: Intel (Coryville) 945G, Intel (Council Bluffs) 945G Viiv Motherboard BIOS Update
Revision: CF94510J[1].15A.0038
Driver Part Number: 9537564.exe
Date: 04/03/2007

Sure you have the latest BIOS?
If yes, then i am out of ideas.

Back
Top Bottom