monitor not coming on?

stal84

Beta member
Ok, I am having a problem, my desktop is not turning on the monitor.

I know the monitor works, cause I was using it on my other desktop.

Anyways, I took it all apart blown the fan and board out, put it back togather. I ended up getting it for cheap, so maybe it was messed before then, but had other desktops with parts and got this one running, fan turns when I power it up. Run smooth.

Took out everything such as dissconnect hdd, cd rom, and any USB or PCI plug in cards, and still nothing. So kinda of lost here. Was going to try a new power device but it seem to be getting its power.

Generally this problem comes from the RAM needed to be reseated (taken out and put back in) or from a bad motherboard.

I will try to clean out the ram slots, but the ram is new, so guessing its a bad motherboard

Well, if the ram is new, it could be not compatible. Has it worked with this ram before?

Just to verify - you have check the monitor on another computer since this computer broke correct?

On-board video or video card? Could be the card if you have one.

Notsure, I picked up a whole bunch of desktop part used in a buddy basement, he said it worked when he used it.

I tried the monitor on another desktop and it works, tried on board video, and a video card

Probably motherboard my guess is, because when I tried to do a dual monitor. One of my monitor wouldnt turn on when I connect it to my mobo. So I had to connect it to my video card with an adapter.

I am guessing its the board to not working with PCI card or on board video. Everything runs fine (well sound like it is)

Take the RAM out and turn it on. It should "beep" telling you there's no ram. Do you have any other RAM or could you try running it with only 1 ram stick in and try it in all the slots. Then try a different stick of ram in all the slots.

I have tried taking ram out, it beeped, try one stick both slots, nothing.
Tried getting a PCI video card, nothing.
Also disconnected HDD and cd Rom and tried running it.

Maybe its the way the power is hooked up on board

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but if the RAM is out of the computer and it beeps, then it's generally not the motherboard but the RAM that's the problem. Do you have any know working ram that you could test with?

Back
Top Bottom