You own a car? Care to share?

Well, the CV with that 4.6L honestly isn't that great of an engine without some boost, haha. The older Crown Vic LTDs had a 5.0L that made 150hp and 300ft-lbs, redlined at around 4000 RPM, haha. It almost felt like a diesel. But the Crown Vic also weighs probably 2x the weight of the Camry. They are built like tanks, and to last forever. It's not unheard of to have a crown vic run over 400,000 miles without much other than oil changes and minimal maintenance. That's why they were popular cop cars. And with that wide rear ratio, I would guess something like 2.73? That will contribute to the sluggish highway speed. Buy some 4.10 gears and it will feel like a whole new vehicle. It's an 8.8" rear axle, so the gears are really common, in America at least, haha.
On a related note, the Mercury Grand Marquis is pretty much the same car, and there is a guy near me selling a twin turbo V10 Grand Marquis... That would be a real sleeper.

Haha, yeah, sand machines are tons of fun though. My friend has a dune buggy, they are a blast.

Last edited:
No car for me , insurance costs in the uk are too high for me considering im under 25 id pay something like £1500 a year to insure a rubbish car just to sit in a traffic jam ,and i dont really go anywhere a car will be necessary for when i do i just get someone else to drive my and pay them petrol

I have a yamaha ybr125 motorbike which i use for visiting my girlfriend . its slow as hell with about 12hp and a top speed probs about 65 but its gets 110mpg and the fastest road on the way to my gf's is 40mph so I dont more power . Plus it cuts through traffic

my place of work is a mile from my house so i do a combination of ride the motorbike cycle and walk to work

408451x640x480_FFFFFF_H.jpg

I have a question for you European car guys. One of my projects, we are building a 1949 Chevy pickup truck that is going to be diesel electric. The diesel we are using is a 1.3L CDTI from an Opal Corsa. We are looking for a repair manual or something to get a fuse diagram among some other things. Does Europe not sell repair manuals for their cars? In America we have Haynes and Chilton manuals, and then there are things like AllData that has more. But no one has been able to find such a thing for a Corsa.

This is my baby at the minute, although I don't think she'll be staying with me for too much longer, looking at getting myself a Beamer :)

Mercedes C200 2006, 2.2 Diesel, I was waiting on a C220 as they have more power and effectively get the same MPG but I'm an impatient boy and couldn't find one within my price range.

Attachments

• IMG_0693.jpg
    IMG_0693.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 3
I have a question for you European car guys. One of my projects, we are building a 1949 Chevy pickup truck that is going to be diesel electric. The diesel we are using is a 1.3L CDTI from an Opal Corsa. We are looking for a repair manual or something to get a fuse diagram among some other things. Does Europe not sell repair manuals for their cars? In America we have Haynes and Chilton manuals, and then there are things like AllData that has more. But no one has been able to find such a thing for a Corsa.

Hey,

yes we do have those kind of repair manuals, Haynes are big over here too.
Try looking under Vauxhall Corsa as well as Opal Corsa, exactly the same car.

Haynes - Practical Manuals and Books

No car for me , insurance costs in the uk are too high for me considering im under 25 id pay something like £1500 a year to insure a rubbish car just to sit in a traffic jam ,and i dont really go anywhere a car will be necessary for when i do i just get someone else to drive my and pay them petrol

I have a yamaha ybr125 motorbike which i use for visiting my girlfriend . its slow as hell with about 12hp and a top speed probs about 65 but its gets 110mpg and the fastest road on the way to my gf's is 40mph so I dont more power . Plus it cuts through traffic

my place of work is a mile from my house so i do a combination of ride the motorbike cycle and walk to work

Yeah, I heard how insurance is high in the UK. But don't feel bad about it, here maybe insurance and fuel are cheap, but other services are expensive; telecommunications for instance.

My work is +40 miles away :facepalm:
Not to mention the +12 miles to schools.

On good uncrowded days, I might go +120mph on that highway to work. Rarely tho. Usually it is 75mph.

Maybe I own a European car, but man I thought you were asking the wrong person.

Luckily Mr. Scc456 saved the day.

Got links for 86' - 95' E-Class MB repair manuals, but I don't think there are useful. Here, give it a try:
Model 124 Maintenance Manual Index

This is my baby at the minute, although I don't think she'll be staying with me for too much longer, looking at getting myself a Beamer :)

Mercedes C200 2006, 2.2 Diesel, I was waiting on a C220 as they have more power and effectively get the same MPG but I'm an impatient boy and couldn't find one within my price range.

Nice one. But mine is nicer :whistling:

Joke :D

BMW's are cool too. I personally prefer MB's, and only the old ones. New ones lost what attracted me in the golden age of MB (late eighties and early nineties). I also think new BMW's are nicer than new MB's.

With low gas prices here, I can pass diesels. Gas engines give much better performance.

Best of luck finding the BMW of your choice.

Haynes is a british company, so we get the same manuals.

Check under vauxhal instead of Opal. (unless you find a german manual then check opal).

given that GM bought vauxhal you might find that the engine is in use inside some of your own domestic vehicles?

The only real question I have to ask is why such a small engine?

will a 1.3 really cut it? think power vs weight, are you ever planing to carry anything in the bed?

the corsa is a really small car, and probably has a lighter body than the truck that you'll be putting it into...

another question is why are you going common rail diesel, rather than older mechanical injector? (which would be a lot easier).

The deisel has less power than the electric motor. And it's a parallel through the shaft drivetrain, so combined, it will have much much more power than the original ~92hp inline 6 that came in a 1949 pickup. This isn't a truck for practical purposes, most of the bed will be taken up by the battery pack. This is a technology showcase for the most part.
It will be fairly light too. The chassis is a custom built chrome moly tube chassis. Trust me, we thought power to weight through on this one.

We can handle the complexity, and we plan on meeting US emissions regulation. We aren't modifying the engine at all. It's just difficult to bypass some security systems without a body harness when there is no wiring diagram. We are dyno tuning an SCR system for the engine as well.

If you're buying a euro car motor, (and why not, Europeans are pretty good at making small car motors)

then I'd really recommend getting a peugeot/Citroen motor. the reason I say this is because not only are there haynes manuals, but peugeot do a website called service box, where you can sign up and get exploded parts diagrams of every part of the car.

Additionally, you can get the engine management cable and software (though not exactly official) through ebay, (search for lexia), it's also possible to find a service box or sedre download where literally everything wiring diagrams and all are available online. but packaged up into zip folders.

the software for working these is pretty good, rather than just giving you p-codes which can be pretty generic you get a very specific error messages.

Additionally, if you get an older one, (based on the EDC15 ECU) they are pretty well documented now so that you should be able to modify the ECU to either tune to get more power, or tune for emissions to help reach your goal...

(if you do this then look for the DW8 (1.4 diesel) or the DW10 (2.0 diesel version of the engine, -these are the basic diesel engines, pretty bullet proof and used in most peugeots and citroeons, (from small hatches/compacts up through their light trucks and vans).

the dw10 engine is the one that's in my car, and it's completely wire controlled, (e.g there is no cable on the pedal just a position sensor) so you'll find it easier to do the diesel electric thing of running the engine at a peak efficiency at all times, than if you have to worry about pulling a wire. -I'm assuming with a lower power engine than motor you'll be spending a lot of time running at less than full power as you need to wait for the battery to charge so that you can have a burst of speed? -hence running the engine at full power (even when stopped at lights etc) is preferable as this gives you the get up and go to leave the lights and come up to speed.

additionally these are the engines that the ford duratorque engines are based on , so getting parts for them probably won't be all that difficult, (though you could find that GM parts fit your opal engine?)

as I said earlier the older engines don't need quite so much with regards the body electronics, (for example no ECU to speak of, no BSI, just a pretty plan old engine turns and runs a mechanical pump for pressure and mechanical distributor for working the different injectors.)
it's not that I doubt the ability, more that certain things are critical, (e.g the engine won't run without ECU, BSI and dash board, and immobiliser satisfied (which can involve needing the steering wheel key and transponder etc) and those systems coded to each other... -this might mean that you have to have a lot of stuff in the truck that you wouldn't otherwise have wanted... and might not be useful...

(for example the speedo take off might need (must) have to be taken from the gear box, and additionally might need to have coherence with the signal sensed from the ABS sensors... or the system throws errors...)

then again, I'm biased, given that as I said earlier I already own a car with this engine, there might be resources available for vauxhall/opel cars that I'm not aware of, (as I haven't really looked).

Back
Top Bottom