Random Chit Chat

I'm sure somewhere here there's a discussion about smartphones and battery life but I can't find it. CNET released this "round-up" of the best battery life from smartphones, so if you are interested take a look:
Smartphones with long battery life (roundup) | Dialed In - CNET Blogs

Or the phone manufacturers could quit being stupid and start putting battery doors again. Having to carry around an external battery just to recharge your original one is such a terrible solution.

I'm actually contemplating breaking some of the internal clips off my phone, just I can get to the battely without tools. There is absolutely no reason for there not to be a latch, but LG decided not to put one anyway.

Or the phone manufacturers could quit being stupid and start putting battery doors again. Having to carry around an external battery just to recharge your original one is such a terrible solution.

I'm actually contemplating breaking some of the internal clips off my phone, just I can get to the battely without tools. There is absolutely no reason for there not to be a latch, but LG decided not to put one anyway.
My phone has somewhat died. The screen won't come on anymore, and the phone was in a loop for a while, kept restarting. I wanted to turn it off so that any missed calls and texts would go to whatever phone I turn on next. But I couldn't shut this one off for quite a while...

My phone has somewhat died. The screen won't come on anymore, and the phone was in a loop for a while, kept restarting. I wanted to turn it off so that any missed calls and texts would go to whatever phone I turn on next. But I couldn't shut this one off for quite a while...

I bet that was annoying. I've encountered a couple phones that were completely frozen, so the power button didn't do anything. Normally, you'd just pull the battery to reset them, but that isn't possible on most newer phones. The only options become to either take it apart or wait for it to finally drain the battery and die.

I'm sending mine back to HTC for warranty repairs soon, so I can't take it apart either... Pain. I started to, then I got to the one screw with a sticker and had to stop then, haha.

The thing is, battery technology isn't really improving that much. Most of the more recent breakthroughs have been in creating higher capacity EV batteries that don't destroy themselves from very rapid charging. Traditional lithium ions like in laptops actually have higher energy densities than the best of these, they just aren't considered as safe and need to be charged slowly.

As far as smartphones, the real benefits come from reducing the power usage and expanding battery sizes. I kinda wish we could stop trying to pack in like 24 cores and more memory than a laptop and focus more on efficiency (on a hardware and software level). But that doesn't sell well, except to a niche market, so there'll never be much real competition on this end.

I don't mean to spark a debate but what in the sam hill do you need a cell phone to have all that other garbage (in my book) on it? I guess if the job didn't have a requirement to have one, trust me I wouldn't. I look at my little gophone with all the extra apps on it and think to my self I'll never use them.
I just need my phone to go ring, ring when some one calls. If I need to get on the internet I have 2 laptops and a desktop. I need directions I just do it the old fashsion way, ask some body. And I'm not paying 400 bucks for a phone that will most of the time sit on my desk being used as a paper weight.

The thing is, battery technology isn't really improving that much. Most of the more recent breakthroughs have been in creating higher capacity EV batteries that don't destroy themselves from very rapid charging. Traditional lithium ions like in laptops actually have higher energy densities than the best of these, they just aren't considered as safe and need to be charged slowly.

This - pretty much all of the increases in battery technology recently has been through reduced power consumption rather than actually increasing battery capacity. They have gone up a bit, but in the grand scheme of things not much at all.

I don't mean to spark a debate but what in the sam hill do you need a cell phone to have all that other garbage (in my book) on it? I guess if the job didn't have a requirement to have one, trust me I wouldn't. I look at my little gophone with all the extra apps on it and think to my self I'll never use them.
I just need my phone to go ring, ring when some one calls. If I need to get on the internet I have 2 laptops and a desktop. I need directions I just do it the old fashsion way, ask some body. And I'm not paying 400 bucks for a phone that will most of the time sit on my desk being used as a paper weight.

Godbless you seti :Thanx:

Back
Top Bottom