Windows Surface Tablet

DogSong

Daemon Poster
Hey guys, I'm thinking about adding to my computing arsenal and gettin the Windows Surface Tablet, but I'm split in what model I should get, brand, and such. And I want to know if I can put win 7 on it (I hate win 8 with a passion). And memory doesn't matter because I have backup hard drives for other crapola! Thanks!

You can't put windows 7 on an ARM-based tablet (anything with windows RT) but you theoretically could on one of the x86-based ones. You'd have to check up on the specific model for driver support though. I really don't see why you'd prefer windows 7 on a tablet pc though. Windows 8 is designed for tablets, so you'll get a far better experience than trying to get by on 7.

You can't put windows 7 on an ARM-based tablet (anything with windows RT) but you theoretically could on one of the x86-based ones. You'd have to check up on the specific model for driver support though. I really don't see why you'd prefer windows 7 on a tablet pc though. Windows 8 is designed for tablets, so you'll get a far better experience than trying to get by on 7.

I understand. Is it worth it to go to the Pro models?

I understand. Is it worth it to go to the Pro models?

Depends. The "pro" models are x86-based, so you're getting the full version of windows with the same application compatibility as a normal computer. The arm-based ones run windows RT, so you're limited to whatever is compatible with that, but you are guaranteed a working program designed around touchscreen controls. It's also significantly less powerful, but still plenty good for browsing, videos, just playing around, etc. Think of it along the lines of, say, a laptop vs an iPad.

Depends. The "pro" models are x86-based, so you're getting the full version of windows with the same application compatibility as a normal computer. The arm-based ones run windows RT, so you're limited to whatever is compatible with that, but you are guaranteed a working program designed around touchscreen controls. It's also significantly less powerful, but still plenty good for browsing, videos, just playing around, etc. Think of it along the lines of, say, a laptop vs an iPad.

I'm guessing the arm version is a x64 or x32 based system? Will the firmware allow an x86 or is that a hell no?

I'm guessing the arm version is a x64 or x32 based system? Will the firmware allow an x86 or is that a hell no?

ARM is a completely different architecture than what PC users typically refer to as "x32" or "x64." It's not at all compatible with any x86 software (except through emulation) as it has a complotely different instruction set. We're talking hardware level incompatibilities, not firmware as you suggested.

If your question was whether the architecture is 32 or 64 bit, the answer is that ARM v7 is 32, while ARM v8 is 64 (while retaining full 32 bit compatibility, sort of like how x86-64 works.)

Last edited:
ARM is a completely different architecture than what PC users typically refer to as "x32" or "x64." It's not at all compatible with any x86 software (except through emulation) as it has a complotely differont instruction set.

If your question was whether the architecture is 32 or 64 bit, the answer is that ARM v7 is 32, while ARM v8 is 64 (while retaining full 32 bit compatibility, sort of like how x86-64 works.)

Gotcha! I really think this is 10x better than an iPad

Back
Top Bottom