Linux OS

So you didn't answer either of my questions. Care to take another shot?

Meanwhile: See Below

How much Linux coding is in Windows now???.

None. There never was either.

How many lawsuits have Mircosoft have against them

EDIT: Apparently plenty. What does this have to do with their operating platform stability and usability?

due to them stealing other peoples coding and programming???

See above.

How many people(who know WHAT THEY ARE DOING?) use Internet Explorer anymore?

I still do. Internet Explorer is still the browser targeted by educational institutions. I use Chrome for most browsing, but IE for all schoolwork. That's not uncommon either. IE has its strengths, those just don't include speed at which you can browse facebook and lolcats, so their share is diminishing.

If I remember rightly I think 9 out of the 10 World's fastest super computers use Linux.

Do you know why? I do, and it's not simply because "Windows = Garbage"

OSX is a Unix/Linux hybrid operating system. Same thing for the iPhone as well.

False.

The Android OS uses all Linux coding.

Do you know why?

How many people have iPhones and Android phones now????

Android has 52% of the market
Apple has 40% of the market
Windows, Blackberry and various others makeup the remaining 8%.

Nothing to do with their desktop OS either...

Last edited:
If I'm not mistaken, OSX is Unix based.

OP, I'm partial to Ubuntu because of its ease of use for Linux newcomers. It is definitely the least intimidating flavor of Linux that I have encountered.

How much Linux coding is in Windows now???.

pretty much none,
pretty much never has been,
pretty much never will be, what with the kernels being quite so different...

there is, or at least was some bsd code in windows once upon a time, which is why we still have an /etc folder in the system32/drivers folder.

but that's just a throw back now, latest versions of windows are all re-writes with little to no re-used code from previous versions of windows let alone other OS's

How many lawsuits have Mircosoft have against them due to them stealing other peoples coding and programming???
I think you'll find that there is a difference between allegations and guilt.
Lawsuits, whilst they are going through the courts are only allegations, and not a good measure of how guilty a person may be.
that said the amount of law suits filed against microsoft for stealing code is pretty much zero.

it's be impossible to reliably state that a closed source company stole your code, I think what you are thinking of is patent infringements,

patent laws protect ideas and methods, copyright laws protect written code.
MS have zero (as far a I am aware) lawsuits against them for stealing code, but plenty for patent infringement, though patent infringement doesn't mean you copied a person, you can unknowingly infringe a patent...

How many people(who know WHAT THEY ARE DOING?) use Internet Explorer anymore?
plenty, the real question is since firefox became the horrible eater of RAM that it now is how many people who know what they are doing are still using that? and how many are still using it just because they kind of got used to it, (which is the reason I put up with it's >1.5GB memory use on my machine. (I use lots of tabs)

If I remember rightly I think 9 out of the 10 World's fastest super computers use Linux.
you do not remember correctly.
Home | TOP500 Supercomputer Sites

ten of the ten fastest super computers use linux, in fact 50 of the top 50 use not windows.

but as pointed out earlier, that's not cause windows is teh suxor at all.
in fact windows is pretty good at making a decently fast enough computer, windows HPC has come along pretty well now.

at work we've just rolled out an HPC cluster for a client, (who deal in stocks and shares) I would have to say if it's good enough for people to (quite literally) bet on, then it's good enough for me!

OSX is a Unix/Linux hybrid operating system. Same thing for the iPhone as well.
no, it's not, OSX is BSD based, not true Unix based, and it has somewhere between not a lot and nothing to do with Linux.

The Android OS uses all Linux coding.

How many people have iPhones and Android phones now????

quite a lot, how many people put down their phones, (which are pretty much thought of as toys, to use their windows computer...

a better question is how many people actually CARE what OS they are using?

I personally, out of choice prefere the debian based OS's.

I just prefere the apt-get approach which I started using a decade ago to the rpm, method that I couldn't get along with, I know that you now have yum, but it's too little too late really.

at home I chose debian for a full PC or windows.
on my rasberry pi machine I have the debian based rasbian OS.
at work we tend to use centOS on servers.
some of our customers use RHEL

honestly, I'd be a bit wary of trying to jump straight into linux, it is a pain, and it is not as rewarding as it sounds like it should be from a lot of people who seem to devote their life to trying to get people to use it.

it's easier to pick a popular OS and assume that you'll get loads of help, (I think this is a part of the reason that Ubuntu became so popular.) but the trouble with linux is that there are always factions. a few years ago ubuntu core team decided to change the default window manager, and all kind of hell broke loose with people saying how they didn't like it and would stop using the OS all together.

for this reason I like the stock debian, I get a choice of window manager when I install, so there are no big surprises etc.

also given that it is widely used, and there are so many other distributions based on it, I find that there is always help at the end of a search engine when it is needed.

Guys, both Windows versions and Linux distributions have their own benefits. Non is better than the other.

C'mon, lets be friends :D

I like both rpm and deb bases GNU/Linux distributions. My first distro was SuSE 9.3 with KDE and from there, I moved to debian sarge.

Recently I've been using Arch Linux (I have to admit that pacman is badass...) and I don't care how the desktop looks like as long as I have a nice window manager. I have in my desktop pc installed Ubuntu 12.04 LTS with Unity and I would have the same version in my laptop if UEFI wouldn't be such pain in that place that you can find at the end of your back ( the 4$$ ._. ) so I have installed Ubuntu 13.04 with MATE and I have intentions of installing a smoother distribution because the CPU is quite slow (an AMD C-60 APU).

My knowledge is the same as a normal user, but sometimes I like to investigate and experiment a bit, I hadn't achieved nothing that anyone with the correct tutorial and a bit of time to spare couldn't do.

This used to be my desktop in my old hp pavillion (R.I.P) with debian, I loved to visit the people in ubuntu channels on freenode just to talk for a bit :3

35m3aea.png

I wouldn't recommend Ubuntu any more, I've used it for years but I really don't like the direction Canonical are taking it in. They sell your data to Amazon.com. I also hate the ugly unity dash and the fact every window has its menu on the top of the screen no matter where the window is! It's totally stupid.

I have recently tried Elementary OS, which is based on Ubuntu, and looks a lot like Mac OS. It looks really nice, runs fast and is easy to use, it has all the benefits of Ubuntu, such as the software centre (which they actually plan to replace with a sleeker version), but without the spyware crap and gimmicky unity dash crap.

I always hear great things about Linux Mint. I'd recommend watching some reviews on Youtube. From those I've made a list of distros that I want to try out for myself:

Arch
Debian
Fedora
Mandriva
Mint
Open SUSE
Pinguy OS
SolydK
Zorin

The nice thing about Linux is you can run off a CD or USB stick, so you don't need to install an distro to try it out.

I am also an advocate for Software Libre, so I will post this link to the distros approved by the Free Software Foundation: http://www.gnu.org/distros/free-distros.html I wouldn't recommend using one of those if you're a beginner because, due to the requirement of being 100% non-proprietary and free, they are more stripped down and can be tricky in some places and may not support all the software you are used to (if its non-free).

Ummm... No?

It has it's flaws, sure, but name a single other operating system that can be applied as ubiquitously as the Windows operating platform?
Err, GNU+Linux runs on everything from microwaves to games consoles (all the next gen consoles run GNU+Linux) to servers to supercomputers. It's far more ubiquitous than Windows.

While you're looking for that, name another worldwide product that performs exactly as intended without breaking over any amount of time and each production is flawless.
What? Are you reaching for impossible superlatives to try and cover up the fact Windows is riddled with security holes, buggy as hell and crashes almost as much as it reboots whenever it feels like it? GNU-Linux isn't perfect either but it's a damn sight more reliable and secure than Windows.

Guys, both Windows versions and Linux distributions have their own benefits. Non is better than the other.
Really though? Please correct me if I'm wrong but the only "benefit" of Windows that I see is that certain software packages are available on Windows that aren't on Linux, that's hardly a tick for Windows, if anything it's negative since if all software was cross-platform we'd have a situation where consumers are free to use whatever they want and they know it will be compatible with whatever other people are using. Then it would come down to the actual OS, not "accessories".

Last edited:
Err, GNU+Linux runs on everything from microwaves to games consoles (all the next gen consoles run GNU+Linux) to servers to supercomputers. It's far more ubiquitous than Windows.

Not from a personal computing standpoint. The point about Windows being more ubiquitous is more toward the usability for the average user in home, office, and government. I understand that Linux can satisfy all those needs as well, and more... but it doesn't have the support (yet), nor does it have a user friendly environment. And when I say "user friendly," I mean 'standard, completely daft and technologically challenged' user.

Consoles? The Xbox doesn't run on Linux, does it?

Also, based on your above reasoning, one could make the case that Java would be a better application base than Windows... for it's reach extends far beyond that of Linux, does it not?

What? Are you reaching for impossible superlatives to try and cover up the fact Windows is riddled with security holes, buggy as hell and crashes almost as much as it reboots whenever it feels like it? GNU-Linux isn't perfect either but it's a damn sight more reliable and secure than Windows.

:)

I cover nothing up with my post. The fact that Windows is 'riddled with security holes' is dual factor. One because of the underlying design of the system is far more complex than needed, and two because of the massive adoption of it. If OSX were the de facto OS, then you would be seeing it as 'riddled with security holes' and Windows would be the safe one. I am about a year away from a bachelors in security, so trust me on this one. Everything is riddled with holes... they're just identified much more quickly where the cattle graze. Does your version of Linux not receive any security updates/patches?

And Windows crashing almost as much as it reboots? I've actually not had a Windows crash for quite some time now. The reboot thing, yea that's pretty annoying, but that's because someone found a security hole and they are attempting a force update to patch it.

Back
Top Bottom