Seagate 3TB MBR to GPT

Maziki

Beta member
Ok, so I know next to nothing about computers. A friend helped me build one but the hard drive is reading "disk read error" so i figured it was time to buy a new HDD. I was already full on the last drive so 3TB seemed like a good idea.

The HDD is brand new and seems to be already partitioned into "Disk 0 Partition 1" and "Disk 0 Unallocated space" x2. Windows 7 refuses to be installed on them saying:

Windows cannot be installed to this disk. The selected disk has an MBR partition table. On EFI systems, Windows can only be installed to GPT disks.

I didnt really understand that but i did some research and apparently you can convert a disk from MBR to GPT BUT it only works if the disk is not partitioned. I attempted to format it BUT it said to me: The partition might contain recovery files, system files, or important software from your computer manufacturer. If you format the partition, any data stored on it will be lost.

I understand this so my question is, what content/info does the seagate have on it?
How do I completely wipe the hard disk?
How do I safely convert from MBR to GPT?

I really appreciate your help.

Also, I'm no computer wizz but I can read and I am willing to learn. Simple, easy to follow text is prefered.

Nate

The stuff is the routine garbage drive makers put on new hard drives. Backup software and encryption programs. It's junk. Format over it. TBH you can live with out it.

Back
Top Bottom