do 2.5"HDD and 3.5"HDD use the same SATA cable

stevethebrain

In Runtime
I have a few extra (unused) SATA ports on my desktops MOBO and a spot inside my case that I could squeeze in a 2.5" HDD so I ask
do 2.5"Hard disk drive and 3.5"Hard disk drive use the same SATA cable?

or are 2.5"HDD stickly used in laptops?

also will the power supply in my desktop w/ it's 7 pin connecter fit the 2.5" HDD?

Thanks

Connections are standardized so no matter the size of the hardware if it says SATA it will fit. You might want to look into HDD adapter bays such as in the link below.
LINK

wonder if the 3gb/s sata cables will restrict the data transfer between the hdd and motherboard. if both devices are 6gb/s.

Spinning HDD's are not capable of transferering data at a rate anything near 3gb/s.
you will need some crazy RAID setup in order to do that (even that will be more a problem for the onboard raid controller rather then the sata standard) or have multiple harddrives all transferering data at the same time. Only SSD takes propper avantage of the 6 gb/s

wonder if the 3gb/s sata cables will restrict the data transfer between the hdd and motherboard. if both devices are 6gb/s.

Sata cables are also just sata cables and will transfer far beyond 6gb/s, its the controller themselves that control how fast the data is sent.

Its a trick when they provide different colour caps on the same sata cables with motherboards. I always laugh.

Back
Top Bottom