Cheap Build. How does this sound?

Lipsmoker

Solid State Member
Hey Chaps second post here, I'v decided to build up my own Project computer I need it mainly for after effects/sony vegas and light gaming . But it has to be cheap. very cheap. I'm thinking along the lines of the following

I have a ATX/micro case already and cooling fans/dvdrw and Windows 7 64bit. oh and a 200gb Sata HDD! So that's a big chunk out the way.

Now I'm looking at this motherboard

Intel DQ965GF Core2Duo Core2Quad Motherboard - D41016-600 | eBay

Mainly because it's just over £20 delivered and it supports core 2 quad.

Processor INTEL CORE 2 QUAD Q6600 2.6ghz, Around £50
RAM

MB support only 4GB for 800MHz and 8GB for 667 or 533 MHz.
Would it be worth to be at 4gb 800mhz? Or 8gb 667? (I'll be on 64bit either way)

Motherboard has build in graphics card as a card isn't in my budget right now but it'll work to use until i can get a nice card. (Mobo has PCI-E x16 and a x8)

Power supply
600w Corsair £60, Not going to cheap out here.

CPU cooler.
Something decent. Better than stock as they are not too expensive and play a big role. (And my computers stay on quite often)

Case
Intel DQ Mobo
Built in graphics (For now)
Core2Quad 2.6 (Can this be overclocked, Running on a decent cooler?)
200gb WD sata HDD
8gb Ram? Or 4, Depending on Ram speed issue.
600w Corsair PSU
DVD/RW

How would this system handle Games and after effects with a decent card? and do i seem to be missing anything?

Cheers

agree with BK. get more RAM. 8gb at 667 is better then 4 at 800.
yes you q6600 will overclock... if your motherboard supports it.

It really is an old computer you are building. so don't expect great performance in games and after effects.
why not build a system on a more modern Micro ATX board. it should not bee much more expensive.

what about this one: Asus P8H61-MX Motherboard, Socket 1155, DDR3, Micro ATX, No I/O Shield ! 4719543181805 | eBay

it's only 10 Euro more expensive, and you will be WAY more up to date.
then for the CPU, get an I3.

I agree going with a much newer and current build would be better and would cost around the same as what your going to be paying for now and you'll have the option of upgrading much easier..

I agree, putting any money into a dead platform is money wasted. I would save a couple of bucks and build something on a modern platform.

What's your budget? I think you may well be better suited letting us find a newer build for you and I think we could probably fit it into your budget.

Thanks chaps. My budget is going to be around $250-300 but i'll be buying the parts bit by bit if that makes sense. not all as a bulk lot

For around $300, you could build something around the FM2 platform which will do everything you want pretty well, much better than an old 775 socket.

Back
Top Bottom