Hot Graphics Card

Jesusfrk611

Fully Optimized
I have an XFX HD 9650 2GB and have had it for about a year and a half. It's in my Antec 1200 case. I have been playing GTA 4 a lot lately and have had texture loss and crashes way too much. I figured the install was screwy, but I installed speedfan just to see the temps. I knew my case was a bit dusty (although I just blew it out and it really wasn't too bad). Everything at idle looks fine except for the graphics card. Before I did anything it was idling at 60C. I ran FurMark on it and it jumped up to a constant 85.

I figured some better thermal paste applied correctly might fix the issue as well as a computer dust. I just got done putting Arctic Silver on it and am now testing it again. At idle it's a constant 56C. So a full 4 degree drop... Ran FurMark and it was running at 82C constant. I made sure all the old paste was cleaned off with some rubbing alcohol.

I did run my game once with Speedfan running and it topped out at like 75ish and I was doing everything I could to try and make it go higher. Of course when you test it to make it act up, no texture loss or crashes... :p

Is this an acceptable GPU temp for idle? The CPU idle is at 30C and any other temps are lower than that. Nothing is overclocked, but I do have an aftermarket cooler on my CPU. The GPU has the stock cooler.

I know the game crashes may not be related to the GPU temp, but I'm just trying to figure out if it might be and why it's so high in general. Off to play the game again with speedfan running and see at what temp I get texture loss or crash.

It's not unheard of for GPUs to run hotter than CPUs. I would check the fans though to ensure that they are able to spin freely with no resistance.

It's not unheard of for GPUs to run hotter than CPUs. I would check the fans though to ensure that they are able to spin freely with no resistance.
It only has one fan for the GPU, but it works fine. Speedfan says it runs at over 2000RPM when it's on a load.

Where the hell can I get one? :lol:

Your card (I'm assuming the 6950) should not be idling higher than 40C.

82C at load doesn't sound crazy high, but it is higher than average (70-80C).

Is the fan making any noise? Is it clean?
Perhaps find a cheapish replacement heatsink?
I come from the near future where the 9650 is already available. :p haha, yeah, the 6950. I was thinking the idle should be around 40. I heard before GPUs run hotter, but 25-30C hotter is in excess.

The game crashing was something else. I got it fixed. It never really goes over 80C in game that I noticed and is usually lower.

I cleaned the entire interior of any dust buildup. The case front dust screens seem to catch most of it really though. There really wasn't any dust to be heard of in the GPU heatsink. I'm really not seeing any problems with it being hotter other than probably shorter lifespan. Ill look into an aftermarket cooler/larger fan, that might solve my problems.

Don't forget about air flow into/out of the case. It might just be that the hot air has no where to go?

I'm really not seeing any problems with it being hotter other than probably shorter lifespan.

FWIW, my 4850 would run upwards of 110C before croaking (had a fan problem), so you have some room there. The card is going to have a shortened life, but probably not by great amounts. I'd save the money spent on a cooler and put it towards a newer card when yours does take a dirt nap.

Don't forget about air flow into/out of the case. It might just be that the hot air has no where to go?

Case should have good airflow. Cable management has been done. Two 120mm in rear and one large fan on the top all exhaust and all running at highest setting. All 3 front fans all at highest setting. One side fan, I believe it blows inward.

For reference, here's the interior with the card in.
IMG_27272_zps19b358c7.jpg

Here's with the side panel on and where the side fan is located. This is pre-6950 which is why the card is different.
IMG_2577.jpg

If the side fan is blowing in, should I turn it around?

Back
Top Bottom