Startup Problem

FireDust

In Runtime
Hey guys, I have a problem (Pretty obvious by the title).
Recently, for no reason, when I turn ON my PC and log into my user, It starts up as always and then it takes 2 minutes to actually start up. It's really hard to explain, but Imagine your user starting up as there's nothing installed on it, and after 2 minutes BOOM, and everything is loaded. I didn't do any changes, I just turned off my PC as normally and when I turned It on It started doing this...

Before you start asking how old is my PC, these are my specs (Self built PC) and my PC is only a half year old.

- CPU: Intel Core i7 3770K - OC'd to 4.2GHz
- CPU Cooler: H80i
- MotherBoard: ASUS P8Z77 - V Deluxe
- RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB 1600MHz CL10
- Sound Card: ASUS Xonar DX
- GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 660 Ti - Twin Frozr
- SSD: Corsair Force GT - 120GB
- HDD: WD Caviar Black 1TB
- PSU: Corsair CX750M - Modular

In your last session before you shutdown it is possible something new was set to startup with windows..... Press Win Key + R to open Run and then type msconfig..... Check whats starting up with your computer under the startup Tab.....

If that's not it the pause might be a driver not loading correctly but I would start with startup programs.... GL

Also, try turning off the PC, unplugging it and then pressing the power button a few times to drain the capacitors and kill anything in RAM. Plug back in and boot up.

In your last session before you shutdown it is possible something new was set to startup with windows..... Press Win Key + R to open Run and then type msconfig..... Check whats starting up with your computer under the startup Tab.....

If that's not it the pause might be a driver not loading correctly but I would start with startup programs.... GL

I checked the startup Tab, but I didn't spot anything strange or anything I don't know I have installed. Any other suggestion?

---------- Post added at 04:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:17 PM ----------

Also, try turning off the PC, unplugging it and then pressing the power button a few times to drain the capacitors and kill anything in RAM. Plug back in and boot up.

I will try that, thanks!

OMG, It actually worked! Nice! But do you actually know what could have caused this issue?

OMG, It actually worked! Nice! But do you actually know what could have caused this issue?

Yup. Bad Windows calls that exist in RAM. Can happen from any number of things but the best way to eliminate the possibility is to flush the RAM as you did.

EDIT: It may be worth running some AV software just to be sure that nothing malicious made its way into RAM, causing the issue.

EDIT2: To add to the "why?"
Windows always pulls from RAM first. If the data exists in RAM already, then Windows will not pull the data from the drive and update RAM as it thinks that the data already exists. So, if there is something stored in RAM to start with Windows... an install process process for example that got corrupted, then you'll get put in that endless loop until the data is removed from RAM or Windows can figure out what is going on and fix itself, which... I'd rather unplug first and ask question later on those types of issues.

Last edited:
iPwn, You really helped me, and now I hope you will help me again.
It happened again, but the RAM flush that you suggested before, doesn't work anymore. I tried unplugging my for the whole night, but It didn't help to fix it. You also mentioned that something "malicious" could've gotten into my RAM. I got Microsoft Security Essentials, but it detected nothing...
Help please? :)

Back
Top Bottom