Building computer

baika

Beta member
[FONT=Liberation Serif, serif]Hi All[/FONT]

[FONT=Liberation Serif, serif]I am planning to assemble a new linux machine for my bioinformatics work, which requires high memory and disk space. I do not know much about hardware and therfore seeking advice before I start buying parts. I am interested in building a machine with following configurations:[/FONT]

1. [FONT=Liberation Serif, serif]256 GB SSD (Two 128 GB to create RAID0) for OS[/FONT]
  2. [FONT=Liberation Serif, serif]2 TB SATA III hard drive for data storage (may create RAID) [/FONT]
  3. [FONT=Liberation Serif, serif]16 GB RAM (with option to upgrade upto 32 GB in future)[/FONT]
  4. [FONT=Liberation Serif, serif]8-core processor[/FONT]
[FONT=Liberation Serif, serif]Here is a tentative list of parts I have generated. I would really appreciate if somebody can help me to decide if these parts/brands are good and I am not missing anything. One of the major concern I have is the compatability issue beween different parts such as Case, Motherboard, Processor and RAM. [/FONT]

1. [FONT=Liberation Serif, serif]SSD: Samsung Electronics MZ-7PD128BW 840 Pro Series 2.5-Inch 128GB SATA 6Gbps[/FONT]
  2. [FONT=Liberation Serif, serif]Hard Drive: Western Digital WD1002FAEX 1 TB SATA III 7200 RPM 64 MB Cache 3.5"[/FONT]
  3. [FONT=Liberation Serif, serif]RAM: Kingston HyperX Blu 16GB Kit (2x8 GB Modules) 1600MHz 240-pin DDR3 Non-ECC CL10 Desktop Memory KHX1600C10D3B1K2/16G[/FONT]
  4. [FONT=Liberation Serif, serif]Processor: AMD FD8350FRHKBOX FX-8350 FX-Series 8-Core Black Edition[/FONT]
  5. [FONT=Liberation Serif, serif]Motherboard: Gigabyte Intel Z77 LGA1155 CrossFireX/SLI Dual Lan Dual UEFI BIOS with Bluetooth 4.0/Wi-Fi Expansion Card GA-Z77X-UD5H-WB WiFi[/FONT]
  6. [FONT=Liberation Serif, serif]Case: Antec Sonata III 500W Quiet Super Mid Tower Case (Piano Black)[/FONT]
  7. [FONT=Liberation Serif, serif]Wifi adapter: Panda Mini Wifi (b/g/n) 150Mbps Wireless-N 2.4GHz USB Adapter - Windows XP/ Vista/ 7/ 8, Mac OS X, Mint 13/14, Ubuntu 11.10/12.04/12.10, Fedora 15/16/17/18, openSUSE 11.4/12.1 and Puppy 5.3.3 Compatible[/FONT]
  8. [FONT=Liberation Serif, serif]DVD drive: LG Electronics 24X SATA Super-Multi DVD Internal Rewriter with M-Disc Support (Black) GH24NS95B[/FONT]
[FONT=Liberation Serif, serif]Thank you all in advance[/FONT]
[FONT=Liberation Serif, serif]Baika[/FONT]

I'll also go with a 4'th generation Intel CPU and a matching Z87 based motherboard.
It's not an 8 core (only has 4 cores, however it still has 8 threads) but the among of cores is not everything as the new 4 core i7 is faster then the 8 core FX-8350 in most cases

Last edited:
Thank you all for your suggestions. I would go for Intel's 4th generation CPU as you all have suggested. However, I am little confused by BK_123's suggestion. I have an impression that CPU cooler comes with the CPU itself, then what is the need of buying another cooler.

Baika

the CPU comes with i cooler. It's just there are so many better coolers out there.
in your case you properly don't need to buy a 3-party cooler.
it's more for enthusiasts and people who overclock.

Spend a lot of time on matching up your MOBO, CPU, RAM, PSU, and CASE then anything because for them to work to the performance advertised those first 4 items have to be compatible on every level........ Trust me I just built my second system :)

Linux works very well with AMD processors I think you will be very happy with your 8350. I agree with the sabertooth advice also I would up my memory to 1866 from the 1600 you list.

Back
Top Bottom