Router suggestions

berties

Solid State Member
Have a Negear DG845GT and supplied O2 Thomson box. For some reason the house really blocks wifi signals.

Do new routers have more powerful wifi antennas?

Some are pretty expensive I don't want to spend £150+

What about the TP-Link 300Mbps ? £50.

Open source firmware would be good, generally I've found DGTeam and other open firmwares better than stock.

Another solution would be powerline with wifi transmission.

Routers with external antennas will make a huge difference, (i.e. ones with screw-on sticks, 1 is pointless, 2 is ok, 3 is better). Similar to Seti, I have a TPLink W8970 (£70), but you can get the 8950 version for under £50 on amazon (last time I looked) which is the same other than it only has single-band WiFi (i.e. 2.4GHz only, not 2.4GHz + 5GHz)

But ignoring all of that, if you have lots of internal walls in the way then the best way to get strong, fast, reliable connections around your house is ethernet powerline adapters (in my case 1 downstairs, 1 upstairs) which then feed into router/switch respectively. You can always attach a simple WAP to one of those switch ports the other end of the house to serve the vicinity.

Hope that helps.

Gone for a Asus DSL-N55U ADSL2+

is it best to place it high up, on the wall? At the moment it's just on the floor, on the 1st story, in the corner of the house. I know it would be best right in the middle of the house but that's where the telephone cable comes into the house.

Looks like a decent router even if a tad expensive, but they do have a good reputation so it might be worth it. As for position, just generally as unobstructed as you can make it, 3+ feet off the ground is best. As long as it has good line of sight to a doorway and open-style rooms (i.e. not in a corner between two wardrobes with a 30cm gap for the radio waves to fight their way through) then you should be fine. The 3 antennas should sort you out reasonably well. Good luck.

Phone jacks are wired in parallel so there's dsl service to every jack in the house. Using the filter you could find a jack in a more central location. Then the only thing you have left is where to plug it in for power.

That's true, it will work in other sockets - but you might get sub-optimal connection speeds if the properties internal wiring isn't as good as it could be. A previously house I owned went from ~3 Mbps (next to the front door in a narrow hallway!) in the master socket to ~1.5/2 Mbps in the main living area. Worth running a test to see what yours is like first before doing this. It varies MASSIVELY between properties.

Back
Top Bottom