Program for entering Info into Access

DogSong

Daemon Poster
Hey guys, I have a cousin that owns a Meat Market in the town I live in, and he asked me to make a complete Database, Server, and a chain of Computers for his meat market. Now, how do I make a program that he can use on the front counter to enter customer information that would send it straight into the Microsoft Access Database?

Wouldn't an access form just be the easiest thing for this (presuming the database is already in access?)

Wouldn't an access form just be the easiest thing for this (presuming the database is already in access?)

No, he wants an external program to enter it in, and have a database in the network that this program enters the information into, an holds inventory, animals that have been slaughtered an their information..... Just a bunch of jargon

I have to agree with berry120, you should be able to accomplish what he wants using Access forms which will allow him to enter the data while the Access DB will hold the data. You can then design reports for him to check his inventory and such.

No external program should be needed, Access was designed to do exactly what you're talking about.

Agree with the other guys you should be able to do this with an Access Form . . .HOWEVER

If you are insistent it has to be an external application the easiest route may be a .net WinForms application, or perhaps a web application in .net or PHP.

It depends on what you are looking for?

No, he wants an external program to enter it in, and have a database in the network that this program enters the information into, an holds inventory, animals that have been slaughtered an their information..... Just a bunch of jargon

The problem is, while what you describe is of course possible, it's a relatively big task and you're asking from the perspective of someone who doesn't really do much, if any programming since your question is quite broad (and also, you jumped to using Access which, putting it very kindly, isn't the database of choice for anyone really if they're not using the forms / graphical side of it!)

The route of choice if you're using access would be a web application in ASP.Net most likely, since that will, I assume, have the best interoperability with access. Beyond that I'm afraid you'll have to just bite the bullet, sit down and do some hard research on this stuff to then decide whether it's worth doing - "how do I build it" is a question that people have written large books on!

I'm actually deploying my project today that manipulates SQL databases and does some other cool stuff. As an example of what berry120 is trying to say; I have 15 years experience in IT and this 'simple' project took almost 3 months of solid 8-5 M-F work. It's a big task bud.

You can certainly get dirty with it and try it out, but without immediate resources, I think you'll throw your hands up before long.

Perhaps check into SaaS (Software as a Service) options? I am confident that you/he can find the appropriate vendor to easily change an existing product to accomplish this. It may get pricey, but that's relative to how bad/soon he wants this.

On that note, I don't know if this is frowned upon on this forum or not? But . . . .

I'm happy to design some software for you from scratch to your specification that will meet all of your needs, writing information to a database, reading and reporting from it for a small fee. Depending on the exact requirements probably in the region of $100 - $400.

Of course there are two things I will say to almost defend myself against that.

1) The reason that price is as it is (which is extremely under market value) is because i'd like to use the project in a portfolio of mine and gain some project / contract experience.

2) This is of course a completely free forum and if you decide to tackle this yourself (which I would encourage) then I and the other members here will always be happy to offer advice, tips and solutions to problems.

Finally the other members are right, if this were a project for a relatively large business that had to work for a couple of dozen users then this may take a lot longer, require project management, several specifications, QA testing etc etc but in my personal experience a product for 1 - 5 users which the "owner" is very clear about the specification this can be achieved in a much shorter timescale probably 1 - 5 weeks, again depending on exact spec.

P.S i'm currently working as a C# and MS SQL Developer for a Software House based in the UK.

On that note, I don't know if this is frowned upon on this forum or not? But . . . .

I'm happy to design some software for you from scratch to your specification that will meet all of your needs, writing information to a database, reading and reporting from it for a small fee. Depending on the exact requirements probably in the region of $100 - $400.

Of course there are two things I will say to almost defend myself against that.

1) The reason that price is as it is (which is extremely under market value) is because i'd like to use the project in a portfolio of mine and gain some project / contract experience.

2) This is of course a completely free forum and if you decide to tackle this yourself (which I would encourage) then I and the other members here will always be happy to offer advice, tips and solutions to problems.

Finally the other members are right, if this were a project for a relatively large business that had to work for a couple of dozen users then this may take a lot longer, require project management, several specifications, QA testing etc etc but in my personal experience a product for 1 - 5 users which the "owner" is very clear about the specification this can be achieved in a much shorter timescale probably 1 - 5 weeks, again depending on exact spec.

P.S i'm currently working as a C# and MS SQL Developer for a Software House based in the UK.

Haha, good luck sticking the pry bar in my wallet! I've been saving all summer for a rifle and I ain't starting again! I just wanted to know if I should do it in VB or something, because he says he wants this application to be touch screen only because you obviously do not want a keyboard on a meat counter lol

Again, Access has a forms designer built-in that will allow you to create forms with large buttons that will work well with a touch screen. Access also uses VBA as it's macro language so I don't understand your reluctance to use it.

Back
Top Bottom